Fly fishing tackle

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by flaboy, Apr 29, 2006.

1. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Ok, here's a dumb question. I keep hearing about this or that weight flyrod etc. what does each weight mean? I have used some flyrods but I don't know the definition of weight as it refers to the rod.

2. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    refers to the weight of the line that you have on your reel. Different weights for different conditons and species of fish you are after. Hope this helps.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I appreciate that! I have tried and used almost every kind of tackle and still lookin for information. oh, is it like hooks?, the larger the number the smaller/lighter the line? Thanks, Lionel

4. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Lionel..try this website to help clear up your questions:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/lines/choose-line-home.html#Weights

Generally the smaller the "weight" the smaller the line, or the larger the "weight" the heavier the line. Rods are also labeled to match up with the line for optimum permormance in casting. The rods usually range from 6' lengths up to 12'. Eight foot rods are probably the most common in the lighter to medium weights. Rods/(and line weight) of 3,4,5 are considered very lightweight and are used for small trout or panfish. 6-weight rods are pretty common and are popular for trout and panfish using flys or small surface bugs/poppers. Larger bass bugs and larger bass poppers may take an 8-weight rod/line combination to make proper casts and handle the larger fish. 8-10 Weights are often used in saltwater also for bonito, bonefish, or snook. The larger/longer rods of 10-12 weight would be used for the heavyweights like sailfish or even marlin. I have a 6-weight, and an 8 weight and can use one of those for most any freshwater situation.
    I hope this helps.

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I appreciate the info. Thanks!

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    In regular fishing you are using the wieght of the lure to carry your line out, in flyfishing you are using the weight of the line to carry your lure(fly). Flyrods are weighted by what flyline the manufacturer recomends using.