Fly Fishing Rods

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by SSG Johnson, Sep 4, 2005.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Anybody know anything about Fly fishing rods as for what would be a good one also the diff. between the reels. I am looking for a decent one to catch everything from Rainbow to Steel head.

2. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I know the real good ones are very expensive..........G. Loomis rods would break my bank. If ya ever get to KC I'd get to Cabela's, they probably have a whole lot more knowledge about these things than us flatlanders :p

From what I've read and seen, a good steelhead reel needs a great drag and lots of backing. A fish with their fighting ability would be awesome on a dainty little 7 weight rod. You thinking about Michigan??

3. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Yes Ive been talking with Sal and am trying to get a trip up to michigan to fly fish for steel head and salmon. Plus the big browns will be running out of one of the lakes in Missouri in the middle of Oct. I really like the Fly rod and currently am trying to figuer out how to cat a big cat on one.

4. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Sounds like a blast!!

As far as cat's go, don't be a purist........roll cast some liver :eek:

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    LOL center that what im going to do........ROll cast some liver.....

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    SSG Johnson,
    In Alaska I used a Pflueger 8-9weight up there for smaller species of salmon coho, sockeye, chum, humpback, (salmon species 5-20lbs) It was a little heavy for smaller trout, but as far as stealhead go it would be fine. I also used an ugly stick 10 wieght for king salmon (10-65lb). I now use a scientific angler for trout 4-5 weight it works well on rainbows here whether it be creek or lake.

As far as what you are looking fo rit really depend on the money you want to spend. the pflueger setup ran me approx $50.00 for the rod and $35 for the reel in 1994. The ugly stick was $50.00 fo rthe rod and $40.00 for the reel in 1997 and the scientific angler ran me $75.00 for the rod and $35.00 for the reel 2003.

As far as weight of the rod for your purposes I would recomend an 8-9 weight.

if you have any questions over the subject you can post or IM me, I have flyfished all my life most of it for salmon.

-Brian

7. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Central Im just starting to get into fly fishing but man I really love it. Thanks for the info. What do you think about tying your own fly's is this something that is worth doing. I have checked and it would be expensive to get everything together to start tying the fly's.

8. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    tying your own fly's is definately worth it. Especially with trout patterns. There are a lot of lakes and streams where they want certain patterns and you can create those patterns to match exactly what they want when they want it.

It can also save you really big ucks in the long run. Just don't get frustrated at first especially with smaller flies they can be a hassel until you get good at it.

-Brian

9. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to start getting everything together to start trying to tie my own then. I think that would be the best when you tie the fly and then catch a fish on it.

10. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    It is a lot of fun and good luck to ya. If run into any problems or future question I am always around (unless out fishing or hunting) .

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thanks brother I'm sure ill be asking some in futcher I'm the same way anything you need just asked and I am always willing to help.

12. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Hey chuck, my advice to you would be to go "feel" some rod's at one of the higher end hunting/fishing shops in your area. There is a huge difference between a cheap rod and an expensive one. Mostly the difference is in the quality on materials used. a cheap rod will have a lot more vibration in the tip and throw alot of S curves in your line telescoping through to your fly. When catching finicky trout proper presentation of your fly makes a huge difference. That is why I recommend trying out lots of different rods, you will be able to feel the differnece in how they load up and how much the end vibrates after you realease the cast. It's been a few years but the best rod that I have ever cast on was an Orvis Trident. That sucker would only bounce once or twice after releasing the cast, but man did it feel good. The balance was awesome. The price tag was a little more than I could stomach, I think it was in the $500-700 range. Next time we hook up I will bring my Sage in and let you cast it a little, it is a decent rod origanlly cost me about $250-300.

For trout I would recommend a rod in the 5-6 wieght range. And for steel head 8-9 wieght range.

As for tying your own flys I would recommend that you get an inexpensive kit and supplement that with materials that you can buy at your local fishing supply store. At first use an inexpensive kit just to see if you are actually gonna use it enough to warrant a more expensive set up. BTW you can get alot of materials used in your flys at your local craft/hobby store.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Excellent advice Roofer.I went through the whole flyfishing thing starting with Bassthen trout in the rockies and surf fishing here in NC.There isn't a better connection to a fish than a flyrod.There are many excellent rod companies out there and some of the rods cost 1000$ or more.I started out with Fenwick because of the ferrule design which they pioneered then went thru Orvis,Thomas and Thomas,Hardy, Sage which remains my favorite in Graphite and many others.There are plenty of perfectly useful rods in the lower price ranges and I would advise as usual get the best you can afford.Cabelas makes very good flyrods and order their free Flyfishing catalog which includes all kind of tying supplies etc.Yes I did learn to tie also and seldom is there anything more satisfying than suckering a large rainbow on something you tied up.It can't totally dominate you fishing to the exclusion of everything else.Mr Ed Davis of Fayetteville NC holds several line class records for catfish on a fly taken from the Cape Fear river so it can be done.I will always be grateful to the US Army for allowing me to fish all the great Blue Ribbon Trout streams of the Rocky Mountain West.From Idaho to New Mexico I followed the hatch for 10 years while stationed at Ft Carson.Colo.The South Platte river in Colo remains my all time favotire.If you need help just holler because I probably made that mistake already.