Fly fishing from a kayak?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by jeremiad, May 25, 2007.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I saw an article on another website (dedicated to kayak fishing, but to remain unnamed here) where a man actually fly fishes from a kayak!

Has anyone here tried this? I have been considering a lightweight kayak (Heritage makes good angler models), and the ability to flyfish from one would be a definite plus!

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yeah, I have done that, also from a canoe. It takes a learning curve to figure it out and you need the appropriate water to fish from them. Actually, most folks that fish from kayak's prefer the ocean type. They are designed with much more tie downs and holders for rods and gear. I never took the time to learn, myself. I mainly used them to move me from one hole to the next. Was able to cover a lot of area.

3. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Does it count if you didnt catch any fish?

Haven't used a kayak, but I know it works pretty good from a canoe.

One of the kayak makers makes one with pedals for propulsion, watched em do some ba$$ fishing with it on a tv show.

4. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've fly fished out of my canoe, its a challenge to maintain boat control and place the fly in the strike zone at the same time. Good luck!

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Tons of people use them down here when fly-fishing for redfish/speckled trout in saltwater marsh flats.

6. JHow

JHow New Member

State:
    South East
    I fly fish and do every other kind of fishing from my kayak. Its alot easier to maintain direction and maneuver than a canoe. I've learned to hold the paddle with one hand and position my kayak without every putting down my rod. I'm planning on installing a depth finder for it soon. The one I have is a Pungo 120, and I think it's perfect for what I do. It has a dry storage area behind the seat and plenty of room in the hull. The opening is large, so your not confined to certain seating postions. It is perfect for fishing small lakes and rivers. You can launch it from just about anywhere and when you want to go fishing, just toss it in your truck. Mine only weighs 48 pounds. The major downsides are wind and distance. The wind can be really anoying, espicially if your trying to work down a bank about 30 feet from it and the wind is blowing you toward that bank. Also I wouldn't reccomend it to large places where the fish might be really scattered (i.e. reservoirs) and you will need to cover alot of distance to find fish (although its pretty easy for me to average 4 mph for a few hours.)
    Bigger fish are fun to catch, they'll tow your kayak a ways.

7. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great responses, everyone!

The Pungo seems to be great deal, but I was leaning toward the Heritage Redfish 12' because of the reported SOT stability in loading and unloading, and their puported ability to be stable enough to stand on while fishing (I'd like to see that first :wink:).

Whatever the case, kayak fishing seems to be a relatively inexpensive way to get yourself out on the water for a solo day of fishing!

8. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    ive heard of lots of people who fish out of kayaks and canoes, and these wierd specially made things with 2 inflatable tubes on the sides with a seat in between it

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    There are a number of anglers in my area that fish for shark from a kiyak and they do land the fish and release them they think it's great fun ,I think they are nuttttts,owell it thkes all kinds
    As for smaller fish kiyaks are very popular for red fishing on the flats here in florida also they are a blast in the surf
    have fun
    mule

10. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    my uncle does it in saltwater and honestly i'm dying to give it a try... he caught the biggest snook i've ever seen and tons of other fish every time he goes... so i trust it!!

11. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Well, I couldn't resist the deal I got for a Heritage Redfish 12' Angler, as shown below:

[​IMG]

It is a great fishing platform! I too, am pioneering the way in this area, for I have not seen any angling kayaks on the water around here. Considering that kayaks have been used for both fishing and hunting for thousands of years, it shouldn't be surprising that they're coming back into their own.:haha: