Fly Fishing for Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by Tubby Catfishin, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Any of you guys ever try to catch a gar on a fly rod? I picked up a steel tippet last year just as I was gettin into fly fishin specifically for gar. I watched some HUGE ones last year feeding on top of the water. Im really gonna try to land one on a fly rod this year.

2. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I never landed one but did hookup with one last spring it hit a top water fly. where did you find the steel tippit?

3. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Good luck with that---hope you catch a BIG one. Let us know how it works out. My Fly fishin' has been limited to trout, bass and panfish.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I did for a few hours back in Florida, I pulled out a 4wt and did it! I would fight a 20lb gar for at least 45 minutes. I can't wait to do it again!

5. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    I found the steel tippet @ Gander Mountain last year. I'm really eager for the water to warm up so I can go and try it out. Thanks for the replies guys.

6. daveinstlmo

daveinstlmo New Member

State:
    missouri
    Yup, I have. I just pretend like you are fishing for tarpon in the Gulf! Actually, some of the patterns that are made for tarpon that mimic a bait fish work good. If you can sneak up on them they are a lot easier to catch. If you cast to them on top and they get spooked and go down, work your fly back through where they went down and they will often still take it. I hope that you have a heavy fly rod and aren't in a hurry to get them in. This is definitely unconventional fishing but it can be a lot more fun than catching a 1 pound trout in the state parks. Let us know how you do!