Fly fishing for bluegills

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by katfish hunter, Apr 13, 2006.

1. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    just started fly fishing ,and i would like to know what the best bluegill flies are.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I use a bream killer, they are a lot of fun when the bream bed up.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    any dry fly will work, but if it were me i would use a small popper type fly . about a size 14 or 16.there easy to cast and you get to see the take.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I agree with slabmaster too. thats my fav. time is when bream are bedding, and get them with the flyrod.

5. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    two words wooly bugger:)

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    michael i want to throw one more thing at you. if you are a begineer fly fisherman you might want to check into useing a fureled leader. you can find them at most fly shops or cabelas. a fureled leader will stretch like a shock cord and keep you from poping your fly of in the backcast.hope this helps.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    a wooly bugger is a good fly but if this young man is a beginer and the water he is fishing doesent have a current he will have trouble casting the heavier fly and he will have trouble picking it up off the water.my opinions are like my arm pits to most people they stink.

8. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    the wooly bugger was one of the first flies I ever used. I have used it many times on still water and I AM NO expert. I have also tied it to a ultralight spinning rod and had a blast.

9. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Dunno a good fly for them but i have seen it work well. I have also heard of people bat fishing with fly rods lol to be honest its kind of funny the thought of it. Sry i cant be of much help but i wish you goodluck!
    Joe

10. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Small popping bugs are great. You might want to trim the tail to just a bit longer than the hook. Small black dry flies are great for the summer doldrums and will get a gill to hit when they otherwise seem to have lockjaw.

Good Luck

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have god luck on fairly large ant flies and small beadheads. See you on the fishbank sometime

12. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I've just gotten my fly fishing equipment together i'll have to see what works on bluegill . I have some bright colored red flys that i think are going to do the trick .

13. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    Poppin' bugs, flies, etc. all work great, but ands the absolute best bream bug out there is a foam spider... just squeeze the spider in the water (between your thumb & forefinger) so that it'll get some water weight & slowly sink. The big un's can't stand it!!! :big_smile:

14. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Yea ive seen pooper flies work well too liek i said im not flyfisherman ( too much concentration) but yea i have observed...

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats exactally what I use and also have had great luck using those foam mock-ups of beatles and grasshoppers! I have been using a 10' pflueger Fly-rod in my local river(Susquehanna). And 8' St.Croix In the Creek (Pine Creek). Just thought I'd pass it along... Good luck to ya'!

16. AllenM

AllenM Guest

I shoulda tried my fly rod this morning while I was out at the lake... Didn't even think about it though, dangit! Was using my ultralight spinning gear instead and catching gills on sections of nightcrawler 'bout 8-12 inches below a bobber. Picked up a Wal Mart special fly rod setup late last season and never got out and tried it until earlier this spring. Gave it a shot a few times with a red popper and with a white dry fly and didn't get nowhere with it, but I think they've moved into the shallows now where they were not there back then. Next time I go out I'll give it another shot and let you know what works for me, if anything. Wish me luck... This is my first fly rod and I'm trying to teach myself how to use it, LOL!! :crazy:

17. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I love it. Spawning right now, I caught about 30 this morning:big_smile:

18. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    anyone have any experinece with the shakespeare outfit at walmart for 20.00 bucks i know its not the best out there but how does it compare to the cheaper set ups like from bass pro for 50.00. moneys tight and someone decide they liked my fly rod better than i did and took it out of my truck while at bait store

19. katfish hunter

katfish hunter New Member

State:
    Jacksonville,FL.
    That was my first fly rod! works good,but fairly weak connection points.I've caught my fair share of bluegills on that rod. Wal-mart should carry a scientific anglers bluegill/trout fly rod with reel and line and special connecting leader.:0a26: