fly fishin

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by flannelman, Dec 3, 2005.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

does anybody here do any fly fishin? im just startin out and wonderin if anybody has any tips for a beginner

2. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i could use any tips like different casting techniques, which fly to use for which season, how to read trout streams

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I can't give ya any tips, cause I'm not very good at it. I've tried off and on for two years. No Trout here in Texas (except some TPW ponds), I try to catch Blue Gill and Bass. Once I caught a 8" Bass, WOW ! I've caught a few Blue Gill and boy was that fun !

I'll be watchin' this thread to get some tips myself.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I am also a fairly "novice" fly fisherman, but as far as casting the best thing I can tell you is on your back cast make sure and stop your rod at "12 oclock" and make sure your line straightens out completely behind you before pushing your rod forward to the 5 o'clock position. Try not to put too much wrist action into it or you will end up with a very sore wrist like I did at first. It doesn't take a whole lot of power either. Its a little tricky to get the hang of after years of fishing with regular casting rods and lures but it ain't bad once you get the hang of it. Remember that you are casting the line, and not the fly.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Just practice as much as you can, find your comfortable way of using the fly rod. That may sound strange but it is true, what works for one doesn't work for all. Get a good assortment of flies, just a little change in color and presentation of a fly can trigger a strike. Look for where water pools up and slows down out of the main current, also shaded areas by branches can be hiding some good trout. Also watch for swarms of small insects near the water, if you see them near the water cast out near them cause the trout should be near. Hve fun and don't let someone stand behind you, don't ask.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Also you can get better line, some will float alot better than others . Watch what knots you use, and make sure you have enough backing, you don't want a once in a lifetime trout spooling you. Also catching bluegill on them is alot of fun try it.

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

tncatfishing gave some good advice. I quit trying to use my castnet, lol, and just started catching all of my bluegills with my flyrod. Its lots of fun and faster than you would think.

8. flannelman

flannelman New Member

yah, i have caught some nice sized gills on my flyrod and it is a lot of fun. for there size, they fight hard

9. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Like with anything, Practice, Practice, Practice. I have flyfished for years, in fact going out again Saturday for trout on the Kings River out here in CA. It is good times, but it takes a lot of practice. I got lucky. I started out fly fishing in planted lakes of ALaska where I ould catch between 50-100 trout a day without trying. The toughest part of that was finding the time and money to keep up on the mesquito patterns they kept tearing up.

As far as tippets are concerned go with the lightest line you can get away with. On the kings river Iuse a 4lb test tippet and that is fairly swift, deep water. Fo rBluegills I go as low as 2 lb test. Use a clear line also, I prefer flourocarbon like Vanish. The length of your tippet depends on the fish and conditions. I do not use a tippet any shorter then 5 ft, but with spooky fish and calm clear water i have been known to extend that out to 10-12ft. You just want to make sure that the fly presentationis an natural as possible. You are not trying to annoy the fish you want to immatate what they are eating.

For line I personnally use floating 5-7 weight for trout and bluegill. Salmon I stiffen up my line and will often use a sinking line 10-11weight.

Just remember one thing nobody is a natural it takes practice. with that practice comes frustration, stick with it. You will nto regret it.

-Brian

10. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i havent fished for trout in years i mainly use my fly rods for blue gills an bass. although i am going to start targeting skip jacks on it though. i would recomend matching your flyrod to your fish , it makes a big difference, like for me i use my 3 weight fly rod for blue gills an crappie i use my 5 weight for large mouth bass an my 9 weight for stripers. an starting out i am going to try my 3 weight for skippies but the way they fight i think i will have to use the 5 weight but i might end up buying a 4 weight just for skippies. i have a few friends that think all my fly rods are silly but when they have used them ( rarely-- im funny about other people useing my fishing stuff ) they only then under stand why i need the rods i have. an as far as flys i tie my own an havent bought a fly in many years. i would say try different ones find what works for you. an casting your fly rods it is of most important to let your rod load up befor a forward cast ( i mean when you flip rod back an stop at about 12 o-clock when your line is reaching the end of making the loop you will feel your rod load ) flip forward an stop at about 10 o-clock to 9 o-clock an open your slack hand to let the rod pull line . practice practice even when in the house go get you a 3 foot stick an a 8 foot pice of yarn an flip it around while your watchin tv. as a beginer it should take you a few shadow cast to reach a 25 to 30 yard cast but practice an you will through a 40 yarder in about 2 cast. practice practice. if you find your self over powering you cast you will see it in your leader for it will get wip nots in it

11. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    your best bet is go to the local fly fishing shop and ask, fly fishing is very differnt from stream to stream but i am very confident with bead head phesant tail nymps, they always work pretty well for me but im with most of the other guys on the board i do alot more flyfishing for bluegills and bass both smallmouth and largemouth than i do for trout,