fly by night

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by slabmaster, Jun 18, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    just wondering how many of the flyfishermen here fish at night. i started flyfishing for trout at night 5 years ago. it's a whole different world at night on the trout stream. if you are allready an accomplished fly caster and have never tried it ,i highly recomend giving it a shot.

2. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    The only time I've ever fly fished was in a float tube on a lake, and even then it was late evening, but never at night. Unfortunately, where we fish for trout, it is illegal to fish past nightfall.

I'd love to become a better fly fisherman. Then I could justify taking a trip out somewhere that you can fly fish at night!

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    Erik if you ever make it to arkansas let me know . i'll keep a free guided flyfishing trip open for ya.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I like to fish the "world renowned" San Juan River at night. It's great, especially since there are no other fisherman out. I never wade at night though, too dangerous.

5. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Oh boy, you have no idea what you might have just gotten yourself into!

6. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i am for real. i do some part time guideing for trout . i am offering you a free flyfishing trip if you get out my way. you will need to bring your own rod waders and boots and the rest i have covered. our water is up now and not wadeable but the bait fishing and lure fishing is hot. our water should be down in the fall to wadeable conditions . for the most part it will be rainbows from 10 to 16 inches long with some browns. we also have the option to run to branson and fish taneycomo . i don't cuss or drink but other than that i am willing and able to put you on some fish and maybe help you with some techniques on presentation and casting.

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Well, only flyfished in the daytime. It's illegal after dark up in Native American country (Cherokee). I'm not very good at it, so far. I would like to be. Only thing I ever knew Grandaddy to make lures for was trout.....yeah, he fished for bass some. Only tied flies for one reason. He was a man's man, yes he was. Guess that irritated Gran a bit, just like the bourbon on fruitcake. How else ya gonna eat fruitcake though?

8. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    seth i hear you about the san juan. it is world class. we don't have it to bad here in arkansas and missouri. arkansas is the home of the world record brown trout .mo dnr electroshocked up a brown in tanycomo that will crush the world record if someon catches her before she dies. i do wade at night. i have found that night fishing has drastically improved my casting skills becuase you have to feel the rod load instead of depend on visual aid to cast. i have also found that wadeing at night has proved benificial to all wadeing situations. i try to be very stealth at night. dark clothes , only use the light when on the bank. never ever shine the water. wade very slow and delibarate. i try my self to never make a sound louder than my line flowing thru the guides. i aslo try very hard to never make a splash or create waves when wadeing.

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    catgirl i use to drink a lot of whiskey and i dont even think that would help fruit cake :wink:

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    used to do some flyfishin @night with flies that looked like a big woolybugger with wings fished in and around the riffles. Those big browns really slammed it.