Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Flurocarbon.....

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  germanmudfish 
#1 ·
who uses this for catfishing? Advantages/Disadvantages or have not/will not try it.:roll_eyes:

#2 ·
Fluorocarbon is great for leaders. A little to expensive to spool up with , has great abrasion resistance, less stretch than mono, and of course is almost invisible when in the water, and ties nicely too. P-line fluoro-clear is a great product and a little less expensive than regular fluorocarbon.

#3 ·
i've used it for a bunch of different types of fishing...here is what i've found....

pros: - generally good abrasion resistance
- truly clear, good in clear water conditions
- isn't affected by UV light, lasts longer on the reel
- it sinks, makes it good for crank bait and plastics (rubber worm) fishing
- generally has less stretch then mono, better hook sets and sensitivity.
- doesn't absorb as much water as mono, doesn't weaken or stretch as much when wet.
- usually casts better, it's much smoother than mono
cons: - knots are more difficult to tie, very easy for heat to build up when snugging up the knot, and because it's so smooth, appropriate knots must be used and tied correctly
- it sinks, therefore not very good for some situations (topwater, bobber fishing...)
- there are a lot of different types and brands out there, some are good, some not so good. do your research and read the reviews. tackletour.com has good reviews
- tends to be relatively expensive

just like everything else in fishing, the category is expanding. no longer do you have just one fiberglass rod for everything, you can get a rod for each specific application. the same is true for line these days. no longer is one line good for all situations. each line has its own niche, and applications where it excels and fails.

imho, flouro isn't needed to often in catfishing. usually you're fishing stained or muddy water and catfish seem to not be too line shy. a quality abrasion resistant mono line will fit the bill 98% of the time, and for a lot less money. with that being said, i do have a spool of flouro leader material in the 50lb class for a clear water / heavily pressured fishing situation if i run across it.

#10 ·
From what I understand about these creatures, they are all nose and taste buds and could care less about the looks of things. I have been getting a lot of ideas from Saltwater fishing mags, that I hope to put to the test real soon. Wire leaders was one of them, brideling bait is another or maybe some sort of carp rig. The idea here being to keep maximum hook exposure for the kitties to nibble on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.