Flurocarbon or Monofilament Leaders

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Les101, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Les101

Les101 Guest

I've been using flurocarban leader for two years now and I'm noticing that it seems to become brittle. I have found nicks in it from structure and whwn I pull on it it breaks like cheap glass. I never had that problem with Mono. It is Stren Vanish braid and Stren Fluro leader.

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i use 40lb Berkley big game mono for my leaders, very abrasion resistant

3. Les101

Les101 Guest

Thanks Mike that was my next choice. I used to used Cajun Red but I just wasn't satfied with it. The stuff is tough but it didn't hold knots very well.

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I have never expierenced what your describing, however there may be a couple of reasons. One is I change my leader material every couple of sessions tops. Often every trip and some times (if i notice nicks, fraying or worn segments) a couple times a trip.

The other possible reason is because I don't use the same brand as you. That may or may not have a bearing on my experience compared to yours.

But, what you describe sounds like typical UV damage (the brittle, glass like breaking)of mono's. But Fluoro's are not sensitive to UV radiation and generally 2-3 times the life span of mono.

I would start out by trying a new brand. See if you have the same results, that way you will know if it's something your doing (like leaving it exposed to the sun, or near some sort of cheical in your shed... ) or if it's the line it's self.

Once you find out if it's the line or you... the problem will be easier to resolve. But none of what you describe sounds right for a spool of new fluoro..

5. Les101

Les101 Guest

Thanks Kelly I think you may be right on the age of the line. When I bought it it was in the bargain cave and the price was cheap. Thought I was getting a deal. I also bought it in the winter and who knows how long or where it's been sitting. May need to just spend a little more money.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    With Cajun, depending what knot you use , and what #test it is, all ya gotta do is wrap less times. I use a clinch type knot in #40 Cajun and only wrap it 3 or 4 times...thats it, normally with lighter line it call for 6 or 7 warps I think. Any more and its to hard to clinch tight. I use to use 50# but its harder to work with. Wet it, wrap it few times and clinch it tight and I promise you you knot will not slip.

7. Les101

Les101 Guest

Thanks Jim I used the 40# Cajun I definitely had trouble snelling hooks because I was using 6 or 7 wraps. I even had trouble getting palamor Knots tight even after soaking the spool in water.

8. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have not had any problem with the cajun red lightning I use, but I use 17# double string leader. I snell the hook with both strings and have never had any problems with the knot rolling, or spilling, or breaking.

9. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me, the use of Leaders has two meanings. I use a Shock Leader when casting as it is attached to a much smaller diameter Braide. Additionally, I use it as an abraision resistant barrier for the structures and zebras that are in the areas. I do sometimes use a mono Hook lenght/Leader, but this has situational uses. When using Fluro-carbon, 1 MAJOR issues is with knot size! When Carp fishing, the tying of Hair-Rigs is a prefeered, but hard to do correctly with Large Knots. Fluro-Carbon and heavy mono does not make tying easy. I have made modifications to the original Hair-rig knots to support this larger diameter line. These are for Stiff-Riggs with the angle of the Hair being critical. I find that the use of Fluro-Carbon is Very Good, but the application is a matter of choice. As to the issue of the Fluro-carbon being Brittle, I have not found it to be so. I have found knicks on the line after a fish or hanger has been found. At this point, the question to be asked is, is it serveer enough to replace??? Use it and see for yourself!

HOPPY4

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Mike on this one. Berkley Big Game Mono does the trick. I have a friend that has the same problem with another brand of fluorocarbon.

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hmmm I haven't had that problem yet...a big sporting goods store was going out of business here in town and they had 30yd spools of 80lb flourocarbon bite material for .99 cents....I bought them all, lol. So far I love the stuff- but now I'll be checking for brittle-ness. Good Post.

12. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use Berkley Vanish, I havent noticed anything like you are describing, in fact the abrasion resistance is one of the reasons I switched to flouro over mono for my leaders. I'll be sure to keep an extra eye on it now that you mentioned it. Do you recon that maybe since you bought it out of the Bargain Cave that it was old stock?

13. Les101

Les101 Guest

I'm almost certain now after the posts and talking with a few people that it was probably old. There's a good chance it was exposed to all of the environmental conditions. I went to a large outdoors store today and started up a conversation with the manager of the fihing supply section.When I told him about my problem and the brand he quickly stopped me and said that brand was not made anymore. Actually it is 4 years old. He suspects that like most of you do is age and exposure.

14. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have never use flurocarbon, I have always used Cajun #40 with palomar knot. So far no problems.

15. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have not had the problem either. As a matter of fact the floro is even more abrasion resistant than mono.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    60 # Big Game for me. Never any problems. I cant skimp and jump on deals when it comes to line. Bargain Caves, Ebay, or what have you. Its a good bet that they are cheap cause they are old or returned. One of the main factors in me selecting Big Game for my leaders is that it is a widely used line and sells alot, therefore the spools I buy off of the shelf at Cabelas are usually pretty new. Watch out for buying line off of Ebay for a cheap price. There is alot of imposters out there, and people selling old and used line. Line is the main link between you and the fish. I want to know that the line Im using is the freshest I have access to. I use Power Pro 100 # for my main line, and I buy it from Cabelas too. :big_smile: