Fluorocarbon Leader Material

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by duckalot, May 15, 2009.

1. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking for 50-65 lbs fluorocarbon leader and was just wondering who used it and what brand they prefer ? I'm also looking for a reasonable place to buy it. The stuff is kinda pricey!!!

2. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Rob,

I have had the best luck with Gamma fluorocarbon leader material

3. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I use 25# P-Line from BPS.I think it was $14 for 75yds.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm using Berkley Vanish 50 lb, Cabelas has it at $13.99 for 30 yds.

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Instead of buying actual "leader material" just by a full spool of Fluoro fishing line-its cheaper & really the same thing!

6. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I thought you had a good idea, for a minut or so, lol. I did some checking on Cabelas and Ba$$Pro, and to my disappointment, I cant find that they carry any fluorocarbon main line in anything over 20 lb test. I even looked in the saltwater section. Got any sources for 50 lb test fluoro line?

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
  8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    jimmy there is a difference leader material is generally thicker and stiffer than mono. now the reason you can't find flouro in anything above 50 is because there's no market for it anyone using heavy flouro(tuna fishermen) only it for need the leader and tie to a power swivel that is tied to their mainline which doesn't need to be invisible. when you look at flourocarbon line under 50lbs test look carefully does it say 100% flourocarbon? if it doesn't then its more than likely flourocarbon coated which is almost as good as flourocarbon its just a little thicker than the same lb test mono. 100% flourocarbon is invisble underwater and since it is so dense it sinks like a rock.