Flourocarbon ?.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Flamekeeper, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I'm going nation wide with this ? ( FOR REAL )

Has anyone used P-LINE flouro-clear or any type of flourocarbon line, Has it cut grooves in your guides ?. IYHO

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Only for leaders not main line mainly for carp fishing attempts. I have used it for catties also as I got god deal on the Seaguar brand one. I thought about but figured it wasn't worth the extra $$$$ as main line......

3. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    greetings,

no cuts in the guides. might you be thinking of braid? fluoro is pretty slippery.

i have spooled with all fluoro before but now only use it for leader and shock leader which does pass through the guides. no problems. i am a fan of seaguar but on a very strict budget last year i bought a 25 yard spool of p-line 30 lb fluoro.

i caught a small snook with the p-line (6lb) and 4 days ago a healthy 30 inch pike with the p-line.

fluoro's only advantage is visibility. it is invisible. besides that it is not tougher than mono or braid. it doe not stretch like mono but it is not stronger.

regards,
    m.a.d

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Floro's advantage is absolutly NOT being invisable. it's main advantage is it's ability to take abraision. It is used here (Florida) around oyster beds and barnacles because it doesn't cut easily when dragged across shells and such. Much better than braid, mono or any other line I've used to date.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what are your rod guides made of? i use ceramic and stainless, and have never had any kind of damage to any of my guides. with fluorocarbon, i mainly use it for smaller fish like trout, walleye, sand bass and crappie, and in small test strengths. you might look at different rod guides, as long as you are happy with the line's performance, aside from cutting your guides up.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use braid mainline and floro leaders for my drift rigs. WIll prob start using for all my catfishing. I love how it does not stretch, makes it easier to break off when getting hung (no pulling for days just to break)

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Your both half right..
    Fluoro is less visible in water than it's nylon/mono/co-poly equivalent, but this is not it's only advantage. Yes, it has more abrasion resistant than it's counterparts, but the newer "superlines" that are treated and/or coated are making that a debatable "advantage".

In my eyes the real advantage to Fluoro's is:
    1) lower water absorption than it's counterparts.
    2) less stretch than mono's but enough "give" to make braids and superlines feel like fishing with string. (FWIW I'm not a braid fan my self. I personally like a little give in my line).
    3) less UV reactive.

#1 and #2 translates in to longer life and retention line integrity over time so you have to change your lines out less often. #2 is purely a personal preference thing.

As for fluoro waring guides more than mono, Nah, never experienced that nor have I heard of it. I guess since it has a "harder" surface than mono, It could cut into softer/low end guide rings easier than mono, but I'd say that is a remote possibility and would be more a function of the guides integrity than the line.

8. catBob

catBob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ive herd this from a couple guys that have used p-line the main thingthey fussed about was it soundes like it was sawing the eyes out:eek:oooh:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    To each and all who replied to this thread,Thank you.
    I did go nation wide with the ?
    From the 4 corners of the nation and beyond to UK and here is just some of their replies to the ?.

Flamekeeper.

Ok don't worry about these guides groving. They are not going to period if you use your rod as intended as a fishing rod. I have hardloy guides which are 10 years old on a rod that gets a good hammerring with braid and they are fine and cost buttons. So sleep easy.
    ...................................................................................

Again, The ATC guides he is referring to below are the same as I am ?ing..

I build a few trolling rods for charter captains on the Chesapeake bay - at least one of them also trolls for tuna and wahoo in the ocean. These rods are used, during the spring striped bass season, with 80lb test braided lines. I use American Tackle (BGSG / BLG/ BBLG) the BGSG has the gold TIN coating. Understand that these rods are used 8-10 hours/day and an average of 5 days/week. I have yet to have one come back with a cut in the guide ring and some of these rods have been in use for 7-8 years. The only 'issue' I've had with the ATC TIN guides are on spinning rods which was caused by mishandling the rod - they do NOT like trunk lid hinges at all. Deform the supporting ring and the ring breaks - as would any guide. Rest at ease.

.............................................................................................
    Re: P-LINE Verses ATC Titanium Nitride Casting Guides
    I would have to see that for myself!! I doubt that any line will nick or groove the ceramic guides
    .................................................................................................

I use P-Line Floro and Haylo extensively and have never seen a problem.
    ...................................................................................................

Ken - there is no way any fluoro or co-polymer line will damage any guide - you could put the cheapest of the cheap guides on there, and fluoro won't touch it. I would encourage you to get more info from whomever you have building this rod for you - do they have any examples?

................................................................................................

Flurocarbon won't even cut wire guides, so I can readily assure you that it will NOT even scuff a ceramic one ... as others have mentioned, not even the cheapest of ceramics would be affected.

Again thanks for the replies guys, I was told to watch the guides that was just put on a rod that was being built for me, being ATC titanium nitride casting / I quiestioned his oppinon and wondered why he thought that Flurocarbon would cut these guides in the first place,ATC Reps say the toughest braids will not even scratch the surface,

Just wanted the builder to see, and anyone that plans on useing them,that they will not have to worrie about the guides etc...

kenny

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the update flamekeeper.

11. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    true flourocarbon has another advantage besides abrasion resistance its denser than water so if you're fishing deep water it'll sink faster than mono or braid and makes fishing in a current easier