flourocarbon line - flourocarbon vs. mono or braid.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by bradley_G, Dec 12, 2008.

1. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    anyone know what the advantage of flourocarbon vs. mono or braid, (if there is one? Im gonna look into some line (again) and saw some of it was on sale, but didnt know if there was any down side to it.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    I did a video on this a while back. I will dig it up for you.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    [youtubevid]vNnN2xgm8nE[/youtubevid]

In 1938, DuPont announced the discovery of nylon, a “group of new synthetic superpolymers” that could be made into textile fibers stronger and more elastic than cotton, silk, wool, or rayon. The next year, DuPont began commercial production of nylon monofilament fishing line.

In 1958, however, DuPont introduced Stren, a thinner line of more uniform quality that could be used with different types of reels, including newly introduced spinning and spincasting tackle.

In the early 1990s, gel-spun and aramid fibers such as Spectra, Kevlar and Dyneema entered the fishing line market, creating a new category of braided lines often called “superlines” or “microfilaments.” These synthetic fibers are thin and incredibly strong (more than 10 times stronger than steel). Individual fiber strands are joined through an intricate, time-consuming braiding process to produce ultrathin, superstrong, sensitive, yet expensive lines.

Fluorocarbon is a polymer that’s nearly invisible in water because it has an almost identical refractive index.

Fluorocarbon fishing leaders originated in Japan, where fishermen are particular about bait presentations. Japanese rivers and lakes are heavily pressured. Lifelike bait presentations are important and nearly invisible fluorocarbon lines enhanced this quality.

4. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I have only used flurocarban for leaders. It is very tough, almost invisible under water and hardly any memory. I'm also thinking about spooling a couple of my spinning reels with it this year.

5. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Good thread. :big_smile: I've been thinking about trying flourocarbon for some time too now, just didn't know anything about it. Keep up the good info!

6. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am a braid man. I think that you don't need Flouro. cause a Catfish doesn't care. I like to use a mono leader and mono shock leader for the stretch. I think that flouro. gets brittle. I use flouro. leaders and shock leaders when I fish in the salt cause I target alot of species that are line shy and I will change my shock leader and leader many times through out the day.

7. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    I just bought a 600yd spool of yo-zuri 40lb. flourocarbon line for 15 bucks at sports authority. Will let you know after I spool and use it for a while. From the look of it it appears to be smaller than 40lb mono. we shall see how it works out.

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I mainly use mono, but have recently spooled a couple of reels with braid. Old habits are hard to break.

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Flouro for leaders is ok, but I really think braid is the way to go... I like Power Pro, others like other brands, but give it a try next to the flurocarbon and see which one you like...

10. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    Ive have used many diffrent brads and types of lines through the years and from my experience I have had the best luck with braids. I use spiderwire stealth with with mono leaders (for shock). If you are a circle hook fanatic like I am then you would probably agree that braid is the best way to go because you dont get the line strtch that you do with mono and flurocarbon lines, But you do need that mono leader for some shock and if you get caught in a snag. Your mono leader should be a slightly lighter line than your braid so that it breaks instead of your braid or main line. Braid does get expensive and i dont like to loose a 100yrds of line if i dont have to.

11. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN

Yo-Zuri Flurocarbon is one of my favorite lines out there. I haven't tried it for catfishing yet though. But it works wonders for bass fishing. I use 20lb test and it hasn't failed me yet.

12. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    ive used flourocarbon line before..seems like alote of line twist has been going on with it for me.im using that vanish stuff.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I have never used flourocarbon cat fishing but love it when going after walleye . It will work fine for cat fishing though I'm sure .