Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can't help but notice that my wife and i and matt77 seem to be the only peeps from florida ? no way this can't be . so i know there is more members , this is what i was wondering if we can get a few more florida folks intrested i would like to hit the escambia river or upper st johns near georgia or even blountstown or from i-10 up to alabam st line theres a couple more spots , I AM TARGETING BLUE"S AND FLATHEADS but i just feel like with 2-3 peeps fishing it's kinda a shot in the dark....but with more folks fishing in our group i'd think we'd have a better shotand get to meet more brothers n sisters of the BOC and target the big ones together.

just a thought i know that the wifey and i travel all over florida seeking big cats and any spot for flats or blues is about 3-4 hours away from us. so fishing with yalll would be great back up also and a great time just ask matt77 we had a blast on his honey hole first nite we met and each caught a nice channel cat.. gut now i want to find the BIGGINs like the rest of the folks on here. florida has them we just got find em and why not have a good time doing so .... later guys hope to hear from more florida folks.

p.s all are welcome but yall in the other states really y bother when ya got em in the back yard LOL other then to see new places and fish with the gators and meet fellow members

·
Registered
767 Posts
I live in Jacksonville and fish the lower St. Johns but mostly for saltwater species. I used to travel to the Appalachicola to chase flatheads and have even fished in a couple of tournaments there in the past. Might fish the Wewa tournament this year. Started fishing the Altamaha and have caught some nice flatheads there. Most cattin done around home is ponds. Some nice channels in the state run ponds. Have caught channels up to 10 pounds there.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ty cuda for the awesome post , its great to hear from fl folk, not to mention folks that have actually caught some flat heads here in florida , you have inspired me to continue chasing the flats and will be finding a spot very soon.

any chance in the future i can pick your brain on places to start fishing first? , not your honey holes just a place that would be a good starting point.

herd that apalachucola river holds blue cats also . i do the same when it comes to channel cats lake eustis in lake county florida seems to be the closest lake for me to get 5-8 lb channels , i am in umatilla central part of the state.

and in oct. i am fishing the inter coatal water ways in new symerna beach fl the red fish run is FANTASTIC only problem is that there all mostly over sized but not a problem for me i catch and release all fish for the most part. GREAT hear from ya ty

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I lived in pensacola for a while and fished the Escam. where it dumped in to the bay out tide channels and bass (betting flatties were in there ...I ntide flounder,reds specks and whites got into some stripes once and big sheephead ..There is a wma further up river I forget where but I was up there hunting 1 day and saw some catting going on If I can remember the name I will tell ya ! But I am having a brain fart LOL ! Good luck on the quest !

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and i will be exploring escam. river very soon but i think i'll start at blountstown and work my way to the ocean and will post my progress. and what a great fishing trip it must be to catch fresh and salt water fish from the same spot gota love florida sometimes LOOL .
ty for all your info this does help me find locations to start at and i am thinking of focusing on the alabama state line first , just betting that flats will be coming from there . the invite is always open to any one also ty again guys

·
Registered
247 Posts
This brother would love to go to to the Escambia river with you! LOL Its up near Pensacola. My brother lives up there and we could prob stay with him for a night or two. Better yet we should also bring some tents if we find a good spot we can stay on them all night. I'll road trip with ya anytime!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well sounds like a plan to me i hear closer to the state lines alabama , georiga the better the odds of flat head n blue cats . have rod will travel lol now i am looking for a cheap tent and an easy one to set up lol the river calls our names .... maybe thats the gar calling o well at least one of us has managed to learn how to hook them beesturds !!!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
ty cuda for the awesome post , its great to hear from fl folk, not to mention folks that have actually caught some flat heads here in florida , you have inspired me to continue chasing the flats and will be finding a spot very soon.

any chance in the future i can pick your brain on places to start fishing first? , not your honey holes just a place that would be a good starting point.

herd that apalachucola river holds blue cats also . i do the same when it comes to channel cats lake eustis in lake county florida seems to be the closest lake for me to get 5-8 lb channels , i am in umatilla central part of the state.

and in oct. i am fishing the inter coatal water ways in new symerna beach fl the red fish run is FANTASTIC only problem is that there all mostly over sized but not a problem for me i catch and release all fish for the most part. GREAT hear from ya ty
No problem. I fish up around the dam on the appalachicola in the spring. Lots of flatheads make their way up to spawn. You can sometimes see them from the walkway being pushed to the top by the water pressure. During the summer and fall I make my way downstream. I have fished around Blountstown and Wewa during tournaments. I have some notes I will look them up and try to give you some leads.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ty so much me n matt77 are wanting to locate some flats and if you've caught em in florida fishing there or knowing where they are is a great start.

i will use all info i can get ty again .

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Map Ecoregion
Map Ecoregion Screenshot
Map
If you guys need a camp site on Escambia river with some flatheads and blues, i can help you out, iv got a spot over here on Escambia river to camp, its awesome its got a dock and every thing way in the woods with no one around, some nice flatheads in the area as well, you can catch plenty of bluegill right off the dock, iv posted some pictures below with the location and a few of my fishing spots for you guys, and a path that will take you there..

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i or we happen to make a run up there i'll post n see if your free too ,thats too cool man again ty for the maps and sharing the info its a long trip so like a every few weeks type a trip un less we really catch them then i might sell the wife and dog and move to the river LOL

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
lol that's so funny you say that, iv been trying to talk my girl friend into moving to Tennessee or missiouri for a while now, i commercial fish out of the gulf, so now the gulf is down i have no work, with no gulf where else is there to work all i want to do is fish, catfish particularly, but yea i only live 10 minutes from escambia river landing, give me a call ill show u guys around..if you camp bring some guns, its some wild woods up there,

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guns lol you came to the rite place i got a few and my cwp carry permit so if i am out fishing i am carrying . also it might be a long drive for you but you have the east coast too for commercial fishing and coco beach / banana river area has a place to sell your fish . just an idea for you , also given any thought to commercial fresh water fishing i been thinking about it my self since the oil spill is gonna burn the sea food industry it would only make sence that the fresh water fish will now be #1 in theory and fresh water lisc. is only 25 bucks and it includes your regular fishing lisc, too .

·
Registered
253 Posts
Has anybody tried lake Talquin? Most of the people crappie fish and not catfish. A couple of years ago on thanksgiving, a grandfather took his grandson out for an evening of catfishing. They used stink bait and the next morning they were at the cleaning table and had 4 flats over 5# each. Lot of channels in the lake. A few people trotline, but I have not seen anybody specificly catfish. If you didn't want to fish the lake, what about the river that feeds it or the river downstream?

I plan to fish for catfish when I go back to the lake for the late fall, winter and spring. Bought a camper at Lake Talquin Lodge. My home in heaven.

Chuck

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
never fished there yet its a far drive from lake county orlando area is that the escambie river that runs in to the lake? if so thats y ya got the flats there my guess is the yonger flats hit the lakes to be safe from bigger fish untill they get big enough to move back to the rivers . ty for posting this info as i am finding out more and more flatty locations in florida thanks to the kindness of you all what a GREAT bunch of people !!! and with all this info i'll find a flatty one day !!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
we have tryed commercial fishing on the east, theres not enough fish over there to substain us, besides every thing my captain knows about commercial fishing 30 years of his life spent fishing, he leanered it all fishing the west, he dosent want to start over again, and actually i have thought about commercial fresh water fishing, my gram-pah commercial fished for catfish in the Alabama river for 30 years with hoop nets before he got to old, but i think i love them whisker devils to mass murder them. oh by the way we also have another river over here with flatheads, its called perdido river, i gotten many out of it, and at rubes Map Earth Urban design
fish camp there is a picture of a 76lber on some guys tail gate of his truck

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
also if you want to avoid the usda cluster mess then sell tha fish LIVE via side of the road and yes i'd feel bad too but your target would be lil guys finger cats and up to 2-3 lb and you can set the bigginz free and thats the second time i heard about using hoop nets, that might avoid dead fish on a trot line . just some ideas for ya me and the wife have talked about it for a year now and she said if you can make money doing what you love to do then go 4 it . also truly sorry to hear that you guys got screwed by the oil spill,
did you contact bp claims office yet they are supposed to pay yall for the {some of the loss] any way just some ideas for ya and catfish don't have to be your primary taget either.

with the freshwater comm. lisc. you can catch n sell bait , shad ,shinners any bait fish you can think of just not sure about mullet sinece it started out in salt water kinda like same rules as catching salt water fish in fresh water still gota have a salt water lisc.

also you can gig frogs and there is always talapia if you can find them year round it's worth a bit of research if your still wanting to fish for a living hope all pans out for you up there we will pray for yall

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.