Florida crappie fishing for my first time

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by 813Fishing, Feb 26, 2008.

1. 813Fishing

813Fishing New Member

State:
    Floirda
    I heard of some crappie in this small local river of mine.I do NOT have a boat,so i will be bank fishing.Should I hit it with jigs or minnows under a bobber? Also I know crappie like structures,there is not much current in this river but where the river bends there is cypress roots and other brush on the side. Would this be to close to shore? There are also come fallen trees in the water,in the middle there is cover but hard to not get stuck in, Up river there is also a place where a old wooden bridge is and just the supports are there now (most current here). Let me know where you think I should fish for the crappie at and what bait to use.
    Thanks
    -Logan

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i would get right in the cover, with a few rods and the bobbers set at different depths. when you start hanging fish, set all your bobbers to the depth of the one that is catching fish. if it picks up really good, i would switch to just one rod. also, i would use a minnow on a 1/16 oz. jighead, and a tube above it at about 8-10 inches, weighing 1/32 oz. this way if they're schooling, after a fish gets on the minnow, you can hang another one trying to steal the original fish's food. works good on sand bass too.

3. 813Fishing

813Fishing New Member

State:
    Floirda
    I was just thinking about catching some minnows there and throwing some minnows under a bobber.What do you think that is my best bet? I have some 1/16 marabous,I just bought a UL that I will be jigging some jigs on.I will only be bank fishing and do crappie like some current?
    Thanks