Flooring Jon Boat help

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Salmonid, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Help, we started a thread a while back but I can not locate it now that I am ready to start this new project! Im gonna floor the jonboat and I cant remember what the majority of folks recommended as far as stapling or glueing the carpet to the plywood, anyone remember? Ill be using 11/32 regular plywood since the regular marine stuff would cost more then the cost of the boat!! Plus only 1 place in town can get it on a special order only and they mentioned a minimum order when I called and 2-4x8 sheets would not likely constitute a minimum order Im pretty sure.
    Anything else to consider?

Thanks
    Salmonid

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Mark J had some good advice in a thread called " ok I finally got a boat". I believe he said use a three part epoxy to seal it but I don't remember about securing carpet. Good luck

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When I installed the carpet in mine I used the jell type contact cement. Its nonflameable and easy to work with. I just used a cheap paint brush to put it on with.

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just put some in and used upholstery glue that is water proof, you just put it in a paint spray gun and put it on both sides, then let it get tacky and stick it down. Make sure it is were you want it, it's hard to pull back up.

5. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    Marine plywood is definetly the way to go , but I understand the cost thing. This is what I did with mine. I soaked, with a pump up bug sprayer, the plywood, both sides, with a product like Thompsons Wood sealer, three days in a row. This will ensure that it is saturated good and will last. then use marine grade carpet glue, it is water proof and designed for the elements. Be sure to get a cover or park it under a boat shed to keep it out of the elements as much as possible when not in use. Good luck and happy fishin.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There are places online you buy marine plywood in any quantity alot cheaper then you can buy locally.
    Of course depending on location the shipping charges may negate the savings.
    There are several different types of marine ply with different costs.
    I would go with a Meranti 6566 grade.
    One thing to be sure of. Just because it says Meranti on the stamp doesnt mean its marine ply.
    Dont rely on the word of a local seller that the wood he is selling you is marine ply either.
    There is alot of ignorance in local markets about marine ply. I've heard the horror stories of big money being spent on bundles of ply that wasnt actually marine ply.
    Look for the Lloyds stamp.

These marine plies arent manufactured in the states. They are all shipped in from overseas. Even so the prices havent gone up in the last few years.
    I can buy 9mm (3/8) meranti 6566 for under 37 a sheet plus shipping. Currently 1/2" inch isnt available in that grade. Flat rate for shipping under 12 sheets from Florida to my door is 109 dollars. This source is about as close to dealing with World Panel directly as it gets.
    World Panel is a the major supplier to wholesalers in the states and these are the cheapest prices I'll gamble to say you'll find.

7. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    personally I would pre-cut your plywood about 1/4 in smaller on all sides of the actually perimeter of the jon-floor and then cut your carpet so it is about 2 inches bigger than that on all sides of the plywood. I would then glue/paste the carpet down and then fold the excess of the carpet under and then staple the heck out the underside so it stays nice and tight.....now when you lay the board on the bottom of the boat it is snug, yet still can be remove when not needed. As far as the glue and paste goes I would see what type of wood you are using and what type of backing the carpet has and then ask someone at lowes, home depot, menards what glue or paste would be good for that application.

if you do a lot of river fishing like me, there will be plenty of times where you won't even want the carpet in. my suggestion would be take your boat out a few times and fish out of it and use it how you plan on using it and you will be suprised what a mess you will bring into your boat by the end of the day.....then imagine that mess being on carpet! Thats why I prefer to have pieces that are fit to put in and pull out when you know it is going to be one of those muddy, sandy, fishy, shad-scale infested days you can just pull out the boards and save some wear and tear on your carpet. That way when you get done you just hose it out and be on your way and save that nice carpet for those less intense days.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    On my 14 ft. jon boat I just put simple floors in it, for comfort and to be quite while moving around in the boat. Just wrapped the plywood in exterior carpet and used a staple gun to secure it from the bottom side.

Attached Files:

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I used 3/4 marine grade plywood @ $35 a sheet, thank god I only needed one sheet. I used carpet glue to secure it to the plywood but two places came loose so I stapled it down.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If it were mine. 3/8ths marine ply, 12oz biaxial glass both sides laid with epoxy.
    I'd make them as removable panels not attached to the hull of the boat.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Id sure like to know where you guys get your marine grade plywood, I found it and its 79.95 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/4", yes, not including tax.

Since boat is garaged all the time, Im gonna use 3/4" treated and secure with just a minumum number of screws to hold it down so if i need under it, Ill easily be able to get to it. also planning on using the glue and carpet. I got pics of before but will wait until I get it done before I show the before and after.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

Salmonid

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    At the minimum, the lowest grade of 3/4 marine ply weighs 72 pounds a sheet!
    3/4 ply isnt necessary. Boats dont have the same live loads a house does but folks often equate a house floor to a boat floor for some reason.
    I could even go lighter then the 3/8" ply glass on both sides but it would double in cost.

There aint a jon boat in the world I would want to add 80 plus pounds of dead weight ballast in .

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I cut mine to form and didn't attach it to the boat. I wanted something that would hold my big butt for many years to come, plus I sleep curled up in the floor sometime.

14. marlin53

marlin53 New Member

State:
    iowa
    let the treated ply age for week to completely dry before fastening the carpet to it

15. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Honesty is a wonderful thing, sleep is something that come natural when fish aren't biting.