FLOORED

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by MRR, Jan 5, 2009.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Been putting a floor in my Jon so I can add some comfortable seats.Trying to figure it out as I go.Figured I'd get started and hopefully have her done by time fishing season rolls around.Now just get back to work some so I can buy the swivels and seats.

#1 picture is before and #2 is after today's work.
    Got to paint and seal the floor yet (on a warmer day)
    Any suggestions much appericated.

Attached Files:

2. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    JOHN,How thick is the flooring you are using?
    I am thinking of doing the same thing with my 14ft Lowe.:roll_eyes:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't sound like much but I'm using 1/4" material.However in each valley I put a 2x6 48 "long.May be over kill but at least it's good and solid.
    Some use 1/2" sheeting but this was free so that's what I used.Plan on painting it a gray color with maybe a tab of sand mixed in it to knock down on the slippery side.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Looks good! Is that OSB that you used? Only worry might be that it would soak up water. Should be solid as a rock the way you braced it, though.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Gonna coat it with that stuff called KILZ then paint it with gray enamel paint.Should be ok hopefully.Least wise till I get rich and famous:roll_eyes::smile2: so I can buy marine plywood.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Probably be fine. If not, it'll give you someting to do next winter:smile2: Good luck with it and hope you get to slime it up with some monsters!

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Just put the KILTZ coating on today.Boy it sure is white (right now anyway):roll_eyes:.Now to let it dry real good then paint it with the gray paint.Should look fairly decent then.Least for awhile.

Attached Files:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    That kilz is some nasty stuff ain't it john? very good product but ya don't want to wear much of it around. Alum.paint is also a good primer and it goes a long ways.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Maybe you will be able to catch a few fish when ya get er in the water:crazy:
    (LOL) Looking good wildman:big_smile_2:

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I painted both sides of mine.
    I also used floor enamel.
    Only thing I'd be worried about with that much bracing is the weight.
    Oh another thing I did was put pink board -closed cell styrofoam- under the floor. Its solid to walk on.

Good luck on your project.
    just

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thats my big concern also is the weight.If I haveto I'll have to lighten it up a bit. Thought about doing like you and using the styrofoam instead of all those boards. May yet before I get her in the water.Have to see how money works out a bit later.

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    yep your right John it's some nasty stuff.least U can get it off your hands with a bit of scrubbing.Not so easy to get outta clothes though:roll_eyes: Never though about Alum.Paint .Thanks

13. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
  14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Kind of like the way you made the live well.Was kind of wondering how to rig up one. Thanks for the ideas.

15. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Got the seats mounted yesterday.Had to cut the pedestals off that was on them(only7") pedestals, so I welded sq.tubing in their place and then bolted them down. I think they turned out pretty good for a beginner.Got to paint pedestals yet (warmer weather).
    Pedestals I put on is approx 15"high.
    Now I need to get rack built for Rod Holders.

Attached Files:

16. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Are there swivels on the seats or are they stationary? Nice work!

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    They Swivel Thanks for the commit

18. papabear108

papabear108 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Between you and baptist preach's thread on jon boat builds I actually have an idea for my own. Great work to the both of you. Both boats look awesome.:wink:

19. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    heyop erator and I have been redoing our boat if you go to her page in her album you can see how we are doing it. we went with aluminum do to the weight and it doesnt hold water. looks like you got the idea though I bet youll like it when its finished good luck

20. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Lookin real good John. Its about time to get her wet and try to boat some cats. :wink: