floor replacement aluminum hull

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by brownie525, Aug 22, 2009.

1. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    I'm looking at buying another boat. Its an 18' deep v aluminum hull. The owner says the floor is starting to rot and is soft in some spots. I havent been able to go and see it My question is what is the floor attached to on an aluminum boat? are there wood stringers like in a fibersglass boat or is there an aluminum frame under the floor or am i completely wrong on both accounts LOL. Ive put floors in fiberglass boats but never tore apart and aluminum hull boat. I'm trying to put together a ruff estimate as to what this is going to cost and time wise. Thanks for your help guys

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I'd say ya have to do a "look see" and then you'll be able to tell more about the cost...

3. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than a floor in a fiberglass boat , no fiberglass or epoxy to buy . as far as the structure goes it depends on the boat ,but most likely it will be wood

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The floor should be attached to aluminum ribs that go for side to side. If you get the boat and put a new floor in it. Go to a metal scrap yard and see if the have any sheets of aluminum. That is what I did when I put a new floor in my boat this spring. I bought two 4x8 sheets of aluminum for 40 dollars. I am very happy with it. The cost of the aluminum will depend on what scrap is bringing. Good luck.

Tom

5. Mike, I am going through this with my 16 footer. The factory floor is 3/4" wood. There is a stringer running lengthwise down the middle of the floor along the top of the ribs and below the deck, then there are two more stringer along the sides where the floor meets the side. The rear section of my deck was getting pretty soft, so I replace just the rear section. I set my saw cut depth to 3/4" and cut across the middle.

The biotch was getting the carpet up to find the screws that held the deck down, The stringers were in great shape, just had to replace the plywood and carpet, all from the Depot. While it was open, I found several split shots and beads that managed to fall through the seat post holes, haha. I also took the opportunity to run some wiring under the floor for setting up some led lights.:wink:

I also had to remove/replace the console, but wasn't a big deal, and was nice to access that while it was off and tidy up some wiring under there also. All in all, it's more work, than expense in my opinion, but should be able to knock it out over a weekend or two bro.:big_smile:

6. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    opps forgot to update this thread:embarassed: I bought a different boat a few weeks ago and everything is solid so i wont have to worry about floor replacement for a few years:big_smile:.

thanks for all of your help though:cool2: