floor question, carpet or other?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by tbull, Apr 28, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I bought a boat recently, and thanks to the freezing temperatures when I bought it, I wasnt aware that the floor was rotted until after the thaw, my fault...none the less here is my situation. I stripped the floor out and will be installing a new one, its an aluminum boat, the floor is no problem done it before. My question is this, is there a better alternative to regular marine carpet for the dirty catfisherman? As we all know our boat floor is usually covered in shad and skip guts, not to mention the occasionally vomit from our whiskered buddies. I really want to do this right, but without going broke. Be nice to have something I could just spray or wipe off. I have heard of vinyl like material? Any info would be great guys, thanks in advance.:wink:

2. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I just carpeted my bayliner...I hate it , after i seen my buddies carolina skiff..I think that stuff would be best ,,,Wish i knew what it was ...
    If i cant find out i will glass it and paint it with epoxy with some flex agent

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ba$$Pro and Cabelas sale floor vinyl and adhesive for boats, standard marine vinyl and deco dot vinyl.

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've got carpet in my jon boat. Its been good so far. I bought indoor outdoor carpet from Lowes, so far its been easy to just spray out with the garden hose. If/when i do it again i'm going to price either vinyl or covering the floor with some sort of epoxy or bedliner material. I wanted to keep my floor dark for duck hunting, and the carpet is probably a little cooler in the darker colors than other materials.

5. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have used herculiner bought from my local NAPA store, it is a roll on bed liner for pick up trucks, it is very tough and as for as i can tell waterproof

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I bought a new pontoon in 05, with vinyl floor, and its fantastic. Its heavier than kitchen vinyl, but I don't know why the kitchen stuff wouldn't work. To do a small boat wouldn't cost much, so if you had to redo it every couple of years it still wouldn't break the bank.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Deck and porch paint with sand mixed in it. Been on my deck for 3 years now and I luv it.

8. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Mines cca 3/4 ply done by the guy before me. Thought about replacing, but kinda liking the wood for easy maintenance (none! :smile2:)and works ok.
    Looks arent an issue to me for the floor.
    Dont like carpet as it holds sand to get blown in face when around sand bars.

Ray,George and terry's suggestions all sound like good ones.

There's alum treadplate, but noisy,still gotta paint and not as easy to work with.

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I have seen boats that have rhino lined. They are pretty cool.
    I added a new deck on my older boat and painted it white. I went to the paint store and bought floor sand to help reduce slipping. Imixed it in with the white. The paint store sand wont cut your bare feet like regular stuff. I then splatter painted it with black over the white. It matched the rest of my boat.
    Good luck and let me know what you decide to go with.