Floor-deck paint

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by kyjake, Mar 25, 2009.

1. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have an older fiberglass boat the paint has wore down to bare wood and would like to find a paint to refinish it.
    Jake

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Me too.
    Right now, I am looking at "Grizzly Grip" to cover my CPES coated plywood deck.

But the money is not spent and I am still open to suggestions.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    boat carpet or vinale maybe

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I am coating the whole inside of my Ranger that I am restoring with Tuff Coat that I am getting from BPS. I looked at the grizzley grip and about five or six others and for the same type of product I am getting way product for less money and same protections. UV , slip , and so on.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm redecking a bassboat now and also plan on using the tuff coat. If i were to use paint, it would be epoxy.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    A few years ago my youngest son and I converted an old Sea Star into a cat fish boat. We Painted the inside of it with regular porch and deck oil based paint and never thought to put any sand on it. when it got wet it was dangerously slick, so we just glued carpet down on it. That has been 6 or 8 years ago and it seems to be holding up good. It was just an old run about, but it looks more like a super sized john boat now.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "boat carpet or vinale maybe "

Almost went that way but got to thinking 'bout dropped smokes, fish slime, water retention, rot and such.

Sand for abrasive is out,,, I like to boat bare footed.

Looking at covering less than 50 sf, so one gallon of either tuff coat or GG should get it.

8. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    ill stick with my old carpet cheap comfortable and helps quitening down my bottom .good luck with yalls choice

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The latest rage in boat building circles is KiwiGrip.
    Water cleanup and it's not heavy.
    Easily applied but does take a special roller. A hook and loop roller.

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the replies,the Tuff Coat sounds good.hope it is worth the $100.it would cost with shipping.Will check into the price of epoxy but think it may be as or more expensive than the Tuff Coat.Don't care much for carpet as a boat deck.
    Jake

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The thing with any of these coatings is they do nothing to protect the wood from moisture. They are not waterproof.
    The wood should be epoxied first with boat building grade epoxy or the price of the coating is really a moot point.

Truck bed liner will crumble underneath your feet just as well as tough coat will without proper prep of the foundation.

Anybody know what tough coat was developed for? Actually it was developed and is still sold under another name. It's concrete paint primarily used in pools, spas, and hot tubs.
    Good stuff too but it's not a wood protectant.

Nobody said boats were cheap.

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Mark,
    Think you have answered a question that I didn't ask with the information that the coatings were not waterproof.I will need to do a coat of epoxy to cover up the wood from which the original finish has worn off.
    Jake

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A quart isn't the best way to buy epoxy price wise but it will go pretty far just coating a boat floor.
    Two coats minimum on bare wood but I usually wind up with 3.

If it were me I would spring for a gallon of Marine Epoxy (brand name) sold by Bateau.com.
    It is a cheap in house brand but actually a better then average quality epoxy.
    Great for the beginner using epoxy because you dont have to worry about amine blushing and it it a good coating and laminating epoxy with a good viscosity.

Not sure of the gallon pricing but probally somewhere around 75 bucks for the resin and hardner. The best deal is 3 gallons at 150 bucks.
    What is left over can be used for all sorts of projects around the house or the boat. Just keep it stored inside during the winter if you live in a cold climate. Or you could build the free canoe or cheap canoe with the leftovers.

MIX SMALL BATCHES. The larger the batch you mix the quicker it kicks off and the more likely you'll be left with an expensive smoking paper weight.

When I build an epoxy dam in the front of boats for the bow eye I'm usually pouring 12 ozs of slightly thickened epoxy to form a plug. It smokes when it kicks off to the point of starting to wonder if the wood will combust.

If you buy the gallon size buy the 5 dollar pumps. 2 pumps of resin to one pump of hardner. My largest batches when laying glass is 4 pumps of resin to 2 pumps of hardner.

There is a pretty detailed thread of me using epoxy with pictures, somewhat of a tutorial found here.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79534

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I recently coated the interior of my boat with the Quickcrete one part epoxy paint ($25) from Lowes. I went with a light gray and put the little colored sprinkles ($8) on top of the paint. I mainly wanted to coat my boat interior because being an '80s era boat, I'm positive the fiberglass needs protection from UV rays. I think I will now buy a gallon of the recommended clear sealer ($25)to apply on top of that finish. The epoxy paint and sealer are recommended for garages and concrete driveways, so it ought to hold up in the boat. The original fiberglass sides and floor of the boat are already textured, and should be porous enough to really give a good surface for the epoxy paint to bond to. Naturally the paint on the sides should hold up due to no walking traffic. Hopefully it will hold up on the floor as well, but if not, I can coat the floor every few years. BTW, I will be adding a small amout of fine, paint grade sand into the clear for traction. The secret to using the sand is to mix small amounts very slowely as you stir it in. If you pour the whole amount in at once, no matter how much you stir, you will end up with a big glob of sand in the bottom of the paint can. Here's a pic of how it looks before I put the clear sealer on it:

Bill in SC

Attached Files: