Floor boards for jon boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by hagonzal, Oct 11, 2007.

1. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi all,

I have a small 14 ft jon boat, the boat is a grizzly 1448 all welded. The bottom of the boat has a rib every 12". The ribs make it a bit uncomfortable to walk on the boat, or if you fall, it is almost certain that your knee will hit a rib. I have heard conflicting advise on the installation of a plywood floor, some people prefer to leave the boat as is because it is easier to clean and lighter, others prefer the floor as it dampens noise and makes the boat more comfortable. I wander if there is a solution in between those two extremes, maybe a floor that you can easily remove to clean the boat?

Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You can most assuredly add a floor to the jon boat. However, everything has a trade off, in this case, weight which will go against the maximum capacity for the boat. It probably would be a small thing. You may try some rubber mats instead of wood, as sound deadening qualities would be much better.

3. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Well, i'll tell you what i did. I bought an Alumacraft 1448 flat bottom jon in July. After nearly falling in the boat a few times and so my 2 yr old could walk around in it, i decided to put a floor in. I thought about wood, but that brings up the questions of rotting wood, weight, and treated wood eating the aluminum. I then thought about aluminum diamond plate, but soon found out how expensive it is. I talked to some guys at work, and one said he had seen a couple boats with street signs for flooring. No, i didn't steel them, i went to the County's Public Works building, and asked if they had any old street signs they were trashing. I found some nice 4'x4' signs that had been shot a few times, and carried them away FOR FREE!! I had them sheered to the right length by a friend. I put weather stripping on top of the ribs to keep noise down, used a jigsaw to cut out the areas where the ribs go up the side of the boat, and screwed it down w/ SS screws. I then got some hunter green marine grade carpet and screwed it to the aluminum with SS finish washers and screws. It looks pretty good (mine will be used for hunting, fishing, crabbing, etc so who cares anyways) and was cheap. You could paint the aluminum, but the carpet covered my inperfections in cutting, and the bullet holes, plus keeps it nice and cool in the sun. This works pretty good if you ask me, i'm 250# and can stand between ribs with very little flex.

4. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Floors are a Good thing and they don't have to be expensive or hard to do.

We have put many in Duck Boats with:

Blue Foam insulation Cut to fit between the ribs. (Get what ever thickness is closest to the rib depth of your Boat) Provided strength of much thicker Plywood with out the weight.
    Some 3/8 exterior glued plywood.
    Some big Ole pieces of cardboard for templates . Don't cut the floor to close to the dimension's of the Boat as it Will just be noisy and be hard to get in and our.. the traffic Zone down the center is all ya need.

Fit the foam to the floor. between the Ribs and then Glue the foam to the plywood and top coat the upside with a primer and good grade Oil Based Enamel with a little sand mixed in and on.
    Only seal one side as its gonna get wet and needs to be able to dry. Sort of the secret to making this deal live.
    Don't screw it down and don't store them outside. They will last as long as ya need them with just a little care and your ankles will thank you.

Good luck with your project !!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A product called Seadek.

6. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks a lot for the idea, I really like the fact that you can just take it out of the boat whenever you need to. When you trailer the boat do you worry about the wind pulling the floor board out of the boat?

7. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This is much better than buying aluminum, I actually bought the aluminum sheets in the past, but as I trailered the boat home (without attaching the aluminum boards to the floor), the wind blew them out of my boat and I never found them again... :sad2: so I am a bit against buying aluminum all over again.

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Never had any Blowing out issues but... Duck Boats are usually filled up to the brim with Stuff.. It takes a lot of Stuff to kill a duck.. LOL

If that was a concern a couple Riv-Nuts or some close fitting Bungies should convince them to make the whole ride home.

Screwing them down seems to be a hassle as the floor twists and flexes enough to pretty much make them litterly pull out of the alum ribs.

Screws directly in the Center line seem to hold but any effort to restrict movement outside of that line is gonna be a tough task.

9. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I forgot one thing. Anybody going the aluminum route, if you use SS screws, you may want to use some grease or something. I tried several different size pilot holes, and still broke a few screws. After thinking a few minutes, i put a small dab of grease on the screws and they went in easily with no more breakage. Them dang SS screws are brittle. Luckily i had bought a few extra just in case this happened

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Just stay away from wood! I put a wooden floor in the center section of my 16' Lowe 1648 and decided to pull it out after a couple of years. It took 2 of us to lift it out of the boat, and it was all we could handle. It weighed as much as a small adult.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a 16 foot semi v crestliner that i put a rubber floor in.i went to wally world and in the exercize dept i founf these rubber mats that you stand on while working out.there are like 36 inch by 50 inch and cost 19.00 each.it only took 2 so i had a floor that comes out for 40 dollars.

12. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    You may want to consider aluminum sheet metal. I am in the process of rebuilding an old Bass Tracker which had a rotten plywood floor. I had a piece of 10 gauge aluminum cut to fit the bottom. I am gluing Styrofoam between the bottom of the boat and the floor. The floor will be attached with rivets. I am painting the floor with a none slip deck paint.

I will not have to put up with carpet. If anything, I am taking some weight out of the boat and will be making it considerably stiffer. I am also gluing the floor to the ribs and caulking the seams around the aluminum sheet with 3M 5200 marine sealant.

I wanted something that would not add weight and would increase the structural integrity that could be washed down.

If you wanted to take the aluminum sheet out, you could pass the glue and use screws.

Just my two cents.

Grits

13. hagonzal

hagonzal New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are these rubber mats stiff enough to support the weight of an adult when standing in between the ribs?

14. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have some 1/2" flat styrofoam sheets in the bottom and then on top of that i use a piece of thin rubber makes it light weight and easy to remove and clean. plus the weight of the rubber keeps them from blowing out

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've gone both ways, and, for now at least, my boat is deckless. I didn't like the additional weight, mice setting up housekeeping below the decks were a constant problem, and cleaning was a career choice.

If I ever try it again, I think I'll build removable, slatted floorboards out of 1x2 cypress...light, easy to remove for cleaning, and shouldn't blow out.

16. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    KatMan.. must be a sign.. I was with an Ole Friend last night who has had "Slatted floors" as he called them for years in his boats.
    (Cypress over oak runners.)
    The couple places he sets and walks a bunch have plain old rubber Car Floor mats down.
    Super cheap and sure works well for him.
    Just thought I would pass that along and saw your posts.. :crazy:

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    plywood and red astroturf. whats leftover from cutting it is enough to replace it if it rots out.