Flooding in South Carolina

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by RiverratSC, Oct 9, 2005.

1. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    A couple of county in the upstate of SC had 8-12" of rain over the last few days. Several lakes and rivers flooded there banks. One lake had water flowing over the dam which did some damage to the backside of it. I saw two houses with water in them yesterday and one of them was flooded last year when the hurricanes came through here. Here is a link of the pictures I made while riding around yesterday morning and afternoon.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b262/CatmanSC/Flooding of October/

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sure hate to see all the flooding that has taken place. Hope all the states recover.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    As much as I hate to see the flooding SC had not had any rain for about 40 days.They had drawn Santee down anticipating the Hurricanes but no rain developed.So I hope the high water is being sent down to Marion and Moultrie so the can fill back up and the can pull water through the canal.It will also give all those lakes a good flushing out of all the stratified water that built up this summer and improve the water quality as well as the fishing.

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I received a weather alert from NOAA this morning about flooding at Conagree National Park that was supposed to be 5 feet above flood stage. Last time they got that kind of water it washed out the boardwalks they had. Which means Marion will be nasty looking for a few weeks.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I had over 10" of rain here at home and some places around had over 12". Lots of flooding around the area, and the rivers are running off into the salt water, reducing salinity. We went out today and tried for some shrimp and whiting. Managed to get plenty for 3 families, but we had to work pretty hard. The water is very stained and salinity is down. I'm like Jim, hoping it will raise the level in the lakes and flush them good. Right now there is a little extra going down Santee River, but not a lot. As the water from upstate comes down, they may have to turn some more loose, but only after lake levels are back to normal, I suspect.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    We had plenty of water and most of it is on its way downstream.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just looked at Lake Marion water level and it hasn't come up any as of today.Must take a while for it to get downstream or they are pulling hard until it subsides somewhat.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jim, they didn't have a report on the info line (1-800-92LAKES) for today, but as of yesterday, the inflow wasn't all that high. They are pulling water through Santee, though. Total avg for Sunday was projected at ~ 9000cfs, which was about double the inflow.

9. Bank Catter

Bank Catter New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    The Hartwell creeks are stil pretty low. I expected them to rise (and cool) alot more. Haven't caught any blues or flats the last two weeks. Only really small channels (<2lbs).

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy I check the lake level at www.santeecooper.com and it was still at 74.1 which doesnt show any rise but they may be pulling water before filling up.At least you guys finally got some rain.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm not sure why nothing has been posted but I know the water coming into the lake is very high because I had another flood warning this morning for the Conagree River at Sandy Run.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    RiverratSC, I think maybe the info didn't get updated over the weekend like it should, and since Sunday there has been no updated info either. I use the 1-800# because it gives inflows, outflows, and hours of generation. I also use the link Jim mentioned to look at graphical and historical data. This indicates the lower Santee at Jamestown has risen several feet in the past few days, and the upper Santee @ Ft. Motte has also risen, but Lake Marion has risen only slightly. Therefore, I suppose they must be pulling in order to keep levels more or less stable, as Jim said. I wish Santee Cooper had a link to let us know what their anticipated flows/levels were. That would be helpful when planning a trip.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    This is what I received this morning from NOAA. If the water going is this high surely it up in the lake and why they are not updateing it is beyond me.

Flood Warning Update - FLOOD STATEMENT HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR FAIRFIELD VALID FROM TUE OCT 11 2005 05:11 AM EDT UNTIL TUE OCT 11 2005 12:00 PM EDT.
    FLOOD STATEMENT NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC 507 AM EDT TUE OCT 11 2005 ...A RIVER FLOOD WARNING CONTINUES IN EFFECT FOR THE CONGAREE RIVER AT CAROLINA EASTMAN AND SANDY RUN... AT CAROLINA EASTMAN ON THE CONGAREE RIVER THE 5 AM TUESDAY MORNING STAGE WAS 117.9 FEET. FLOOD STAGE IS 115 FEET. THE RIVER IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE SLOWLY FALLING OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. THE RIVER SHOULD FALL BELOW FLOOD LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR THIS EVENING. BY WEDNESDAY MORNING...THE RIVER IS FORECAST TO BE AROUND 112 FEET. AT STAGES BETWEEN 115 AND 119 FEET...EXTENSIVE FLOODING OCCURS IN THE CONGAREE NATIONAL PARK AND FARMLAND DOWNSTREAM FROM COLUMBIA. FLOODING ALSO OCCURS ALONG LOW LYING AND FLOOD PRONE AREAS OF THE CAROLINA EASTMAN FACILITY. AT SANDY RUN ON THE CONGAREE RIVER THE 9 PM MONDAY STAGE WAS 22.9 FEET. FLOOD STAGE IS 23 FEET. THE RIVER WILL CREST THIS MORNING AROUND 23.0 FEET THEN BEGIN SLOWLY FALLING OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. AT STAGES AROUND 23 FEET...THE ACCESS ROAD TO THE SANDY RUN SUBDIVISION ALONG THE RIVER BECOMES FLOODED.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It gets real confusing, don't it? :confused: The NOAA site NOAA River Forecast confirms what you're saying, and I know an awful lot of rain fell upstate that has to be going someplace, but apparently the Lakes info isn't being updated or something. The reported lake levels for some reason don't reflect the amount of inflows.
    I wish I knew what was really going on, short of taking a ride to see for myself. :rolleyes:

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thomas, I just called the Lakes Information line (1-800-92LAKES) again, and it has been updated now. As of today the inflows into Lake Marion are ~39,780cfs and total discharge through turbines @ Jeffries & St. Stephen are ~11,520. That leaves about 28,260cfs going into the lakes. Lake Marion is up .08' from yesterday.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy looks like it is going up .01 per hour since yesterday.I would like them to leave it full as much as possible to aid the spawns.Of course they generally draw down later in the winter in anticipation of the spring rains,but a good flushing out will help the fall and winter fishing enormously,not to mention bringing more food supply into the lakes.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ditto, Jim. We knew there was some water missing somewhere between upstate and the lakes. I guess the lady who does the updates was off yesterday...you know how it goes, nobody else wants the responsibility. LOL
    We need the fresh water, that's for sure. Probably by next week, things will start to stabilize a little. It does look like they're trying not to overfill the system right now, though.
    RiverRatSC, have you been doing much fishing lately up your way?

18. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I had planned on going this past weekend but that didn't seem to smart. I haven't been catfishing in over a month because my motor is messed up but I plan on get it fixed in the next few weeks. I have been bass fishing a little in small lakes close to home with my trolling motor. I knew somewhere they hadn't updated the numbers because there is still a lot of water up here moving downstream.