flooding effects on flathead catfish spawn

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by katfish ken, May 13, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    What is your opinion on the effect that flooding and high water has on the flathead spawn in rivers and lakes/resivoires ??? I will post my opinions later.

2. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I like to see this Flooding I thank the Flathead like it to . They can get into some of those back waters and spawn . I like it they can Gorge themselves on all kinds of food realy put on some weight . ' CCC = Catch Clean Cook "

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like the high water. It brings them up some of the smaller rivers I fish.I don,t have an opinion on the lakes.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think the High water will allow flatheads to travel into ares that they could not get to without flooding conditions in out rivers and streams.
    In our man made lake I think the big fluctuation in water levels could push the spawn up a bit. The lakes in this area was built with food control in mind. Most of these lakes are around 1000+ acres in size. During flooding condition they will rise as much as 15- 20 ft. with the water level getting way up in the timber. When this happens I think the flatties get back in the bush gorging on all the insects, worms, grubs and such. With all the extra cooler water being held in the lake I think the water temps stay lower than if there was no flooding conditions. Then As the water level is pulled back down to summer pool it creates more current in the lake which helps keep the water temps cooler. With the cooling effect the flooding conditions has on water temps, I think it could push the spawn up later in the spring, by as much as a couple of weeks. This is just my opinion. I would like to hear what the opinions of others are on this as well.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    High water less fighting for spawning sites (more sites). Lots more food short term any how. Fry hatchout and growth is likely high being high water means more plankton and insects and small fish fry. Then the water drops food is thick from the massive baitfish hatches. Yea it makes fishen tough but it shure helps the numbers of fish in the river mabe even double. Mo conservation department thinks that we will great fishing in the MO river just like after the floods of 93. Good news is we have had 2 years of high water now. About 5 years from now fishing should be fantasic.:big_smile:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Thanks Troy Reps to ya.