Flooding and fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by viperdragon6662003, Mar 12, 2009.

1. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    I was wondering since we have had ALOT of flooding on the IL river. How you fish after the river has gone back down or while the river is still above flood stage. Been waiting all winter to go fishing and have to wait for the river to go back down before i can even get the boat out.
    Thanks for any info

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in Okla I fish the flooded timber. I use stink bait or cut bait on a floater. Seems the cats are moving more in the swallow water. (2-5ft) I usually don't catch real big one but catch a lot of eating size.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    some of the best time to fish is floodes. try the grassy area our woods like our brother said

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Dont forget to fish the mouths of those feeder creeks,they can produce very well.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep high water is a good time for bank fishing :wink:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Creek or tributaries and feeder creeks as stated. Good luck out there:wink:

7. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL

LOL thats a good one right now cause if i wanted to fish the bank i could go stand on some of the roads. or i could go stand out in the middle of a corn field. The IL river right now is about 12 feet over flood stage way to much rain and all the boat ramps are under water so no fishing for a while.

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    when the river is that high around here i launch on one of the submerged roads. them corn fields is where i would head. best fishing i ever done was when the river was up 20 feet.

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Some of my best fishing is done when the river has flooded.:wink:

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Cats hit the timber and fields when they are flooded. They find lots of food there that they don't normally have to feed on.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thos cow pastures have lots of earth worms underground and when they flood the worms crawl out of the ground to try and get out of the water.channel cats and blue cats come out of the main river and gorge themselves on what ever they find floating around.this is the situation where you can catch,maybe not the biggest, the most cats you will catch all year.

12. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    jeramiah, with that kind of flooding going on you dont have much choice but to wait it out. once the river recedes back into the banks and got all them fish rounded up outa them cornfields and city streets you will have alot better luck catching them. i dont know what kind of cats you're targeting but with the weather starting to warm i'll bet you will have some fun before too long.

13. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would say some bank fishing near structure if you cant get the boat in .

14. viperdragon6662003

State:
    IL
    ya what happen up here is that right after ice out we had some really warm weather and all the snow melted. Then all the rain came and the ground is still kinda frozen and is way to wet for the water to go down so it just runs everywhere. i just hope once it goes down it stays down. I dont think i am going to get the boat out when its this high dont really rember where everything on the river is and i know i cant see the green and red boues so thos are big things that could mess my boat up pretty bad so ill just have to wait it out thanks all for the replys