Flooded Out

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Sep 1, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    We were on a fishing/camping trip at Navajo Lake, there were clouds in the distance, but we didn't worry. We set up our tents on a little stretch of beach. Then we went to enjoy some smallmouth fishing. Not much was biting but, we managed to catch about 10 smallmouth and some brown trout. It was getting dark so we went to camp. Everything was fine we ate and went to bed. At about 3:00 in the morning the rain was coming down hard. I thought nothing of it until, at about 4:00 we my tent was moving. I figured it was just the beach sliding down, so I waited to feel. Then my tent was bouncing around off rocks and next thing I knew, I was under water stuck in my sleeping bag and tent. I got out of my sleeping bag but couldnt find the zipper to the tent, I some how ended up with a knife cutting my way out. I got to shore to find my friend missing. He got out right after me and swam to shore. Now, that he was back, we realized the boat had come off the shore anchor and drifted to mid lake. So, i used a floating air matress to get myself out there start the boat and bring it back to shore. We started to salvage what we could, that's when I started taking pictures. . Sorry about the bad quality, not a good time to take pictures

Attached Files:

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Wow, y'all are lucky, the Man was watching over you! Glad you and your buddy made it out safe.:big_smile:

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you're ok! I agree The Lord was with ya!~~~~~~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Thank God you got out:eek:oooh::eek:oooh: Holy Smokes that is scary. I am glad everything is ok

6. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Looks to me like you had the "3rd man" in the tent with you dude....glad as heck you all right and that's a heck of a tale you'll share with your kids and grandkids, giving the glory to whom it belongs I'm sure!

WHEWWWWW WEEEEEEE honey NO JOKE!!!!! Just look at the water in those pics and we can ALL see why!

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I agree with the rest you was being watched over. Aren't you glad you happen to have a knife handy.Thank goodness you all made it out safely. Bet you sleep bit lighter in a tent from now on.

8. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Well, probably wont be sleeping in a tent for a while since my tent is on the bottom of the lake:sad2:. Went back today to see if I could salvage anymore, found one of my rods washed up on shore, water still too murky.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'd bet the next time you set up camp it will be on high ground.
    Glad to hear you made it out alive, man that must have been scary.

10. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    You bet! We will be setting up way higher or on the marina's hotel:big_smile:. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Thats what I call getting lucky.Glad you both made it out ok.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang ,Seth. Tell me you have heard of flash floods ,Now ya know why they call em that. Glad you guys are ok. Remember that for the rest of your life ,Things like that leave lasting impressions.

13. NewMexicoCatfisher

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    Yeah, i've heard of flash floods, never seen one at Navajo Lake though.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Welcom to the desert. Flash floods are common in the summer. Glad ya made it out ok.