Flood

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Apr 28, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Here in Iowa we've had a lot of rain recently.
    Some places in central Iowa got 6 inches.
    Most all of that water is gonna end up in the Iowa Skunk or Des Moines rivers which are already bank full.
    Since I live nearest the Skunk I know it is supposed to crest at Oakland Mills around mid week.They have already closed the south campgrounds and water works.
    Used to be when the river went out of its banks I just grabbed my bow and fishing arrows and headed to shoot a few carp. Great fun if you've never tried it.But now a days arthritis has made that fun quite painful.
    So i'm wanting to catfish those waters. Don't want to put the boat in cause getting it out would be a problem.
    So
    How do you fish flood waters?
    How do you find the fish?
    Structure is gonna be everywhere.

the best to you
    just

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know that it really depends on the river, it can be really hard to find them at least I have found this to be true.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I would fish the back waters where the water is calmer. they tend to move in calmer waters when the river is rolling. Plus that is where you will find the bait fish.

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    make note of grassy areas that have been mowed to the water. when it gets covered fish there. the cats will be in a feeding frenzy. they love to come in to flooded areas and catch night crawlers. anywhere you know that has lots of night crawlers that will be flooded will be great. just be careful where you put your fish. i still hear from my wife from the fish throwing up pounds of worms in the back of her pickup during our last flood.

5. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Try the areas that are normally dry. The fish will move up into these areas to feed. Bring a lot of hooks and sinkers with you. You'll probably get snagged a lot!
    But usually worth it.