Flood warnings increase on the ouchita river in Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by whisker maniac, May 11, 2009.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Flood warnings on the ouchita river have increased from minor to moderate severity in the Felsenthal Wildlife Refuge. Pool stage was at 74.1 this morning.. flood stage is 70ft... is fore casted to get to 81.5 ft by may 19th.

Everyone fishing or what ever in this area take extra precautions and stay safe.

2. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    Hey Whisker Maniac,

My son and I were out in your area last christmas. We come down from Tulsa/Bixby, Oklahoma each christmas to mother inlaws in El Dorado. High spot of the trip is exploreing along the river and lake area. Plan on bringing my boat this year to explore some out on the water. We saw the fish camps below the felsonthal dam. Does this high water put them up in the tree tops? Love the Calion area. Can only dream of a houseboat in such a cove/oxbow. Neat place.

Mark
    Fish Camp
    http://lh4.ggpht.com/__wOPxryDSy0/SVuUiz4ZKxI/AAAAAAAAClk/NxASEBzzBrk/s512/100_2218.JPG

Below Felsonthal Dam
    http://lh3.ggpht.com/__wOPxryDSy0/SVuVPW8KdCI/AAAAAAAACn4/aB-sCc8WW-g/s512/100_2230.JPG

3. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Usually the water doesn't get all that high but, this year is an exception. I was told yesterday that up at Camden at Sandy Beach the overlook pavilion is underwater so bad that you can just barely see the top of the roof. Hwy 7 off of 79b is totally under water for miles there also.

Those fish camps, if ya noticed in the pic are made to float and are on poles to raise and lower with the water. We haven't done anything like that at our lease. We were just trying to make a place where we could have electricity and water and carry the campers down there.

At Felsenthal there is an campground there for campers/tents. They have been building it up. They have a bream fest there every year during Memorial Day weekend. They have singing and dancing and people set up booths to sell there wares and food from food booths. They have a beauty pageant and of course the Bream fishing tournament. It's kinda fun to go to just to get away for the weekend. Duck hunters camp there also during duck season and deer hunters will come there to camp and hunt the Felsenthal wild life refuge.

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    we are approaching flood stage down here on the ouachtia. flood stage is 35 feet in monroe, currently we are at 32.1 feet. The had moved the weigh in for the Ronald Mcdonald house bass tourny, to the Ike Hamilton center instead of Lazarre park because of safety concerns. Also lake Darbonne is flooding locally. some residents have backed out of the area.from the looks of it more water on the way from up yonder.:eek:oooh::crazy:

5. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Just sharing the ah er...... luv Brother.

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Mark... next time your down also check out the moro bay area.. I think you will like it there as well.. there is a state park there too as well as folks with camps along the river. We have a lease down there.

7. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma

We stoped in at the Moro Bay park christmas before last. The park ranger/host gave us some history of the ferry and let my 4 year old pet the aligator in the tank. Way cool! Moro Bay seems like a secure place to leave a trailer and truck for overnight river trip. We checked out the Camden river park, Calion, and a couple of the locks. I remember seeing some camps up on platforms from the hwy. river bridge. Looks like a lot of fun!
    Plan on dropping my wife off in El Dorado this christmas and my son and I putting the boat in the river for a few days..can't wait.

Love to explore new waters. Do you ever see any bears in Felsonthal?

Thanks

Mark

My river Explorer...........Me and my catfishing buddy.....

Attached Files:

8. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    I haven't seen any bears in Felsenthal.... Have not been down there in couple years and I don't fish it much at all. I don't know the area too good and Felsenthal is an area if ya don't know it well ya can get lost if ya don't stay on the main river channel. We have had quite a few folks get lost in there and had to spend the night because they couldn't find their way out.

The AGL&F has released bears in the refuge there but I have never seen any hanging around the parks there.

That's a really nice rig ya got there for messing around on rivers and such but I wouldn't go too far above Camden with it. The ouchita has a bunch of shallow spots above Camden.

There is also Crossett Harbour. There is a big launch ramp there and a campground off behind it that is pretty nice.

Plenty of places up and down the river here to mess around... just above Crossett Harbour the Saline river joins into the Ouchita but is too small for that big boat of yours to travel up.

Next time your up this way you'll have to give me a shout.

My father in law knows the Felsenthall area like the back of his hand. He used to fish all of it when he was young before they flooded it. It used to be just several small lakes or oxbows all over that area that they flooded and made into one big area.