Flood? no problem!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 21, 2008.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    even though the river has been blown out i still had to get out today and fish. cruised by the river yesterday on the way to work seeing if there were any slack water areas. found one spot. it was where the GMR and the Mad intersected downtown. went back today (off work) and found the river had dropped a few feet and the slack water even slacker. caught 10 channels, biggest was a fat and pregnant female topping the scale at 9.2lb. caught all of them on cut shad right at the edge of the heavy current, they werent in the slack water at all. all but 2 small ones ( they have a date with some hot grease! ) were released. once the clouds rolled in they shut off and i got out of there, not to mention the "Picklers" were starting to notice me down there :eek:oooh:. first pic is from Thursday http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3272.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3282.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3275.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3280.jpg

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Great job but what is a pickler?

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Nice pics Dink, thanks. Looks like your off to a good start this year.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice day there dink.. gotta love them slack water areas! rollo

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pickler? you dont know what a pickler is? come on over to Dayton and hang around the levies and more popular spots.:wink: might just get approached by an overly friendly, clean cut, reeking of cologne, creamy,......Male!:wink:

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I see LOL, do they hang out in all of the spots you fish in?:smile2:

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i've always thought about that spot, never tried it though, looks like ya did good, channels are really starting to turn on.. im gonna have to get out soon again..

8. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pics. Good to see someone catching some fish. Thanks again!

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    looks like you had a good spot congrats on the fish

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Way to go Mike, there is a nice deep cut off to the right , is that where they came from? At normal pool, that area probably is a better carp spot then channels, I fish all around that area for bass. Water is actually down 3.5 feet from the crest. I heard yesterday the Englewood dam waterline was up to the walkway ( Im guessing thats 35 feet of water being held back)
    The 9lber is a great fish for downtown area!!

And Im sure you were carrying the "Pickle Protector" with you, right???
    No way I would be out on a point like that without one :wink:

Salmonid

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    out from that point and now underwater is that huge gravel bar area, that is where all the slack water was and NO fish were there. i had to do some really long casts to reach the edges where the banks are at normal level, thats where all the fish came from. that 9lb channel decided she wanted to dart into that heavy current cranking out of the Mad river, talk about an epic battle!

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice fish good going dink rick

13. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    I fish at Caesar's Creek Lake alot...it's known for it's Pickler hangouts.

Trust me, when you see these guys, you'll know they arent catfishing.