Floats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PTDixieGal, Aug 14, 2008.

How do you select a float?

1. Yes, I have a specific method for choosing a float (please explain).

2. No, I don't.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    One thing I've been thinking about...actually, here's what triggered it. Most of the time when I go catfishing I do NOT use a lure, except when I am at Lake Cherrywood because it's so shallow. That's where I was at today, running two rods. I prefer the Thill brand floats...you know, the long slender ones. My Shakespeare had the yellow and white float and my Rhino (yes, I finally got the thing back in action!) had the orange and black one. Anyway, they got tangled up in someone's stinking trotline. So off to WM to get another set of floats as those were my last two. I ended up selecting the Thill "Bubble Gum Bobbers" pack of five different floats. And it got me to wondering if there is any particular method that you use to select a float. So, do you use floats and how do you go about selecting which one to use?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We usually make our own out of some cheap products at wally world. We start with a 4' noodle and cut it into 5"sections. We then use the cheap crappie floats and insert them into the noodle and secure it with sealant called great stuff. We then put in an 8" glo-stick and fish at night. So for about $10 we have 10 or 12 monster floats that can float the largest of baits and holds a glo-stick. No more manufactured floats here! Too exspensive!!:wink:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is a great idea!! Thanks for the tip.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    My biggest use of a float is on the leader to keep the bait susspended. Size bait will determine what size pin float I will use.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Me too. I usually put a styrofoam cigar float on my leader. The same floats double for crappie fishing, and bait fishing.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'm like BG and Matt I mainly use pin foats to keep the bait suspended up off the bottom using carolina rigs. The thill type floats you are using will work well and are a must if you are distance casting. If distance is not a problem then Gene from this site sales cat and fatcat bobbers that work really well and will set the hook for you when using kahle or circle hooks. When picking out a float to use for slip cork fishing the main thing is to get a cork rated for the size weight you are planning on using.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
  8. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    2 1/2 in cigar floats on carolina rigs is what I use...

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    The peg is the stick in the middle of the cork to hold it in one place on the line.

10. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Floats are for perch!

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We float large live Bluegills to catch large live Flatheads!!!!:big_smile:

12. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I Try And Catch Flats But Only Catch Big Channels Over 10 Pounds

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use the premier catfish stalker floats, I use the floats with a slip float rig and 1 oz sinker.

14. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have used a 16 ounce coke bottle on my big rod and reel from the bank sorta like jug fishing with my pole from the bank

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i make mine out of pool noodls

16. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i use the ten inch lindy bobbers.i like them because they don't drag much air when i cast,and sometimes i need to get them out there.
    nothing quite like watching a bobber take off

17. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    It depends on the size weight and bait that I am fishing with as to what size float I choose to use and I usually always fish with some kind of slip float because I use bait casters and this makes it easier to cast.