Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

What do you perfer??

• Floats.

• Bottom fishing.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
i voted bottom,i fish that way all the time,and love it.i plan on trying float fishing for flats this year,with the advice i got from my buddy pat on here.love seeing a cork go under,but not much confidence in it yet.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I usually just cast it out there and let it sit on the bottom. Sometimes I use a float just to know where my bait is at, and its great to see it go under. I like to watch it go bobbin accross the water in the direction the fish goes.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I've caught all my best fish off of the bottom. Its hard to use a float on the river unless you are in a boat or in just the right place from the bank, like a point where two runs come together. In a lake around a stump field, its about the only productive way. I voted bottom.:smile1:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm new here and to catfishin in general. I stumbled across my first flat a couple weeks ago and haven't stopped since. I been taking 3-5 flats each morning ranging 22"-25" using a floating jighead and a crawler about 6" to a foot off bottom.

·
Registered
162 Posts
under the right conditions, i find a cork rig as effective as drifting, without the hassel of keeping the boat stright, and fighting drift socks, if we are at a good lake, such as santee, and have current in the lake, or a stiff breeze, and we are in a area, without a lot of hangs, we work a slip cork rig, throw it out and let it drift, covers alot of water, and is very effective, i fish bottom as much as corks, its atie for me, the rig i use depends entirley on the area im fishing, i let the body of water tell me what to do.

·
Registered
83 Posts
it depends what depth your fishin in. In 5-7ft i would use a float or whens there structures like trees and logs not to get snagged up on:( but im a bottom fisher its more percentage of catchin somthin

·
Registered
68 Posts
alot of the time ill throw on a slip-bobber rig so i can find the depth in shallow water. im a bank fisherman so knowing the depth is a must for me. ill fish on the bottom in deep holes when at the river or streams and use a float when at the lakes or resevoirs......slip-rig fishin for flatties around structure seems to work well as opposed to throwin a sinker down into an underwater jungle.

·
Registered
199 Posts
and have had a great deal of good fortune. However I have to ride the fence on this one because I bottom fish and float fish and let the fish tell me which they prefer on a given day, today it was drifting with a slip float, only caught 1 fish drifting without a float, then put float rigs on and caught a good mess.

G

·
anyone know what the cork setup is and can u please explain ? i have done the big slidding bobbers floats but what is the cork setup ?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I cant use floats with the size of bait I use. a 8-14 inch carp sucker or large mouth would drag a float wherever they wanted. I use 3-5 oz no roll or banksinkers on the bottom
Sure you can. Just modify it and use a 3 way with the sinker on a drop line with lighter test. If your bait is dragging your sinker (on bottom) then add more weight. Try 2 5 oz sinkers or even 3. You might be pleasantly surprised. We all get stuck in a rut of doing what we always do. I am here to tell you that a lot of the times when it seems I am getting no action, I can ALWAYS count on the bobber set up to perform, even if it is a channel.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.