Floats in rivers?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, May 4, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I just read through Slik's whole post on using floats for flatheads. Most of the guys that say floats work well seem to be fishing lakes. Does anyone use floats for flatheads in rivers? I have tried it just once or twice and haven't had any luck with them so far.

2. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I was wondering the same thing. I would be worried about the current limiting your float time. Seem you would have to do a lot of casting.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was thinking too, that I could just let it drift down into a good looking position and then leave it in one place.

I guess my real question is if river flatheads come up off the bottom as easy as lake fish? Does the current tend to keep them on the bottom more? Any thoughts?

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    John and Alex,

Float in rivers have not worked for me especially since I fish off the bank. I've tried but end up casting and killing my baits because all the float does is drift down stream and you end up having to reel your bait back in. From a boat, i don't know?

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use a float on the river here and have good luck. I fish from the bank and from a boat. When I fish for the bank I try to find a big hole of water with very little current and float a perch or bullhead along a steep bank or a log jam.

When I fish from a boat I try to get where the water is in an eddy so the bait stays in one area.

6. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Rollo has posted good luck with flaots if this helps?

7. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok

I too have had good luck using them in the rivers. i like to find a out crop of a point in the current and fish the swrill< spelling? and just let it circle in that current. Usually where a creek dumps in is prime areas.

Foggy :cool2:

8. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
  9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They work great in rivers also. Most fish them in the slack spots that keeps the floats in the same spot.

Pete

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have had zero success using floats for flatheads, even in the lake. I just think they are a bigger pain than anything. I'll use one max in the river and only if it's really shallow (<5ft.) I've caught a couple blues on them but nothing big. That's why I just use a Carolina rig all the time. Simple and it catches fish, why mess with a good thing.

11. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I like to float current seams in the river. that works well for both flathead and channel cats.It is more work than fishing on the bottom , ,but it sure does produce some nice fish.All but one of the 50#+ flatheads I have gotten were caught under a float, about 1/2 were caught in a river.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Guys I fish a float rig in rivers as well as lakes. When i fish the river I hook the bait fish through the eyes instead of behind the dorsal fin. This way the fish lives longer. When fishing the river I also try to target the 2' above the bottom. The float just gives the same effect as drifting. As the bait floats bye the resting flathead waiting for dinner it is passing bye just as if it was swimming bye. I fish from the bank as well as from a boat and almost always have at least one float in the water. Hope this helps.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <When I fish from a boat I try to get where the water is in an eddy so the bait stays in one area.>

THAT, would be the key. I haven't tried fishin' with big floats yet, but plan to do so pretty soon. I see big cats all the time feeding on the surface, and fishin' with the bait suspended under a float should produce great results. I'm very anxious to try it!

Bill in SC

14. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is a huge topic this year nobody, ever commeted on floats for flatheads last year, but man,it sounds to me like everyone is loving this new trend, at least its new to me, and ive got the perfect place to use them wen i can get a few

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I have yet to have any success fishing in the river with a float but I have yet to find what I would call an ideal situation for one. Most of the current i fish is 8oz+ and more or less straight line. I'm still looking for that perfect eddie.

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Another prime spot for floats would be the mouths of large creeks and tributaries,anchor upstream and drift your float and a nice shad or skiphjack along the edges of the sandbar/gravelbed and you could definately cover some seriously fishable water.

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jerry
    This is very true . You can also fish the upstream side of the tributary with the same effect.