Floats for flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mte, Aug 30, 2009.

1. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Has anyone caught flatheads suspending live bait below a float? I catch alot of channel cats that way but I haven't caught any flatheads.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use the floats from Wild Wolf Products with bullheads and they work great. I float the bait in just over the cover or down to a log jam in the river. On the lake I float the bait along a rocky bank.

Welcome to the BOC

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use the Kat floats from wildriver too.I,ve got a couple on them so far.They work great,I just don,t have that many spots where I can fish thim from.It,s still a good tool to have on hand though.:wink:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    In lakes and ponds i have caught more cats suspending the baits then directly off the bottom. flatheads like all Cats will suspend to the thermocline. find the thermocline you find the fish.

5. littlejomojo

littlejomojo New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    at dams especially it can be deadly for flats i use a weighted cigar slip float put the hook about 1/3 of what the average depth is --put it out in the main current about 20 or 30 yards above/in front of an eddy pool let it drift into the eddy and if their(flatties) around it dont take long i also catch blues this way i use whatever kinda minnow/gill that gets caught into my cast net don't seem to matter seems like the 3to4 inchers get the most action heck i even used crappie minnows before didnt catch a single crappie lol --just keep finding eddies by letting the current take it there. i guess thats kinda what river cats do just let the current do the work.

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use the Fat Kat Bobber from Wild Wolf Product. Deadly, Deadly, Deadly. If you use one you better hang on to your pole. I use 6" green sunfish and they smash em HARD.

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I haven't really had a oppertunity to use a bobber for the Flats. cause it is hard to do from the bank at the spots I fish, but I know that catfish love suspending baits in the summer.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with this post.:0a27::0a27:

9. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    A big THANKS to all who responded. I bought some kat bobbers last week along with the glow sticks. I only got to try them one night but it was cool watching the glow sticks zip around the river. I just have to learn to tie a tighter slip knot. I didn't have it tight enough and the fish were pulling line thru the bobber.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    With all due respect, why re-invent the wheel?

Gimme a 3oz no-roll and "I'm GOOD!".

Plus you can't see those floats at night unless they are lighted. Float fishing can only be done from the bank in lakes. In rivers, you float is just gonna flow downstream, you have to keep recasting your bait, and after about 3 or 4 belly flops, you bait is in a coma or plain dead.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  11. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with you man. I've messed around with them, but since i fish the susquehanna from a boat, i could only use one bobber setup, straight out the back. I didn't get more hits than usual so i scrapped the idea. Make it a 3 ounce disc for me. It's simpler, and tried and true. I can't speak for the lake fishermen, I'm sure they would work just fine in still water for suspending cats.

12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    have you tried using the premade bobber stops? The neon string prewrapped around little black tubes. I use them for drifting minnows for smallies in the river. They hold pretty tight. If your float depth is consistent you could always put a dab of super glue on your know. Harder to slide the bobber stop but it wont move.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am glad the wheel was reinvented, dont knock it till you try it. You might be surprised. I know I was. I wont go anywhere without a Kat Bobber. I try both bottom and floating at the same time to see what they are wanting? Sometimes it both.

14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I think they would work real good here on the Mon.
    We haven't had any current since spring where I'm at the water just barely moves.
    I'll probably try some next year.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok Mike heres the pics, hope they help out. Its just a piece of tire innertube cut 1/2" x 6" tied around the line three times. The bobber will not budge it, if you get it tight enough.

Attached Files: