Floating trees, pouring rain and tornadoes.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Guess I'm officially a river rat now.

Went out on the Missouri at La Benite Park today about 2pm to go fish by myself for a while. Probably should have re-considered when I got to the ramp and noticed all the crap floating down the river - we've had lots of rain so the river was up about 3 ft from the last time I went out and all the creeks are running. Anyway, the river was littered with limbs, logs, trees, root wads, dimensional lumber and a zillion other things.

But not to be deterred, I launched and headed downstream to my "carp hole" where I negotiated even more logs and got a small carp in the boat within about 10 minutes. So far, so good - got the carp skinned and set up on my favorite fishing hole just above Missouri City.

Put out 5 lines and quickly learned that it was more work than I really wanted with all the junk floating downstream - it was a constant battle to keep lines from getting hung up in junk, to free the ones that got hung up anyway and re-tieing the lines that broke because of the hung up junk.

Finally started to sprinkle a bit so donned the Gore-Tex rain gear and called home to have my wife check the radar. Storms building to the north and west but moving east so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Caught a 5 lb blue and a 3 lb flathead within a few minutes of each other and then the phone rang to tell me that the storms were growing. Skies were still light so I didn't worry much but decided it might be time to pack up.

Before I can get the first line in, the phone rings again to tell me there's a tornado reported at Sugar Creek (basically where my truck is parked) and moving east along the Missouri. So I grabbed a knife and cut the other 4 lines, left the rods in the holders, pulled up anchor and blasted downstream to Cooley Lake access, about 3 miles away.

Out ran the rain and called to check in again - no more tornado but the storms are getting stronger, weather man says just a lot of rain and occasional lightning.

Decided I'd either be stuck there for hours or I'd just have to brave it and head back upstream. So I shoved off, pulled the rain hood tight over my head and prayed a lot as I screamed back upstream at full throttle.

Took about 20 minutes to get back to the ramp, where it was raining as hard as I've ever seen it. There was a kind fellow there watching the rain who helped me get the boat back on the trailer, even wading up to his knees to do so. What a great guy - never did get his name.

Finally got back home and found out there were a couple of tornadoes reported near where I was fishing and I think I just got lucky to miss them all. Checked the lower unit out and it didn't have a scratch, despite a couple of good thunks along the way.

The river level web sites show that it came up 18" in the 4 hours I was out there and is continuing to rise. I probably shouldn't have been there, but I lived through it, learned a lot about the river and can't wait to get out there again!

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey marty I am glad you made it out okay but you know that is what makes a man feel younger.:big_smile:

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good you made it back safe, thats shows detication been there before and thought what the heck are you doing out here. Few years back i was fishing behind a wing dike and the river was full of trash , storm started to move in so packed everything up and started to head out , I had to wait aroung 15 to 20 minutes for the trash to go by before i could get out.

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good grief, I'm glad your ok Marty. That was a pretty serious storm to be out there in.

I was out bank fishing one night this spring where it's about a 30 minute walk from the car. KCGeoff, way up in Atchison, called to warn me about an approaching storm. I listened to the radio for a bit and then high tailed it.

On the drive home I listened to the reports on the radio, and just as a got to the house they issued a tornado warning for that location.. At this point I was safely 20 miles away. Well, my cell phone rang again - it was Tiffany this time, and I figured she had just heard the warnings sound. "Where are you fishing at?" I told her where I had been. She said, "You need to get out of there" I played along, and asked how much time I had, it's a 30 minute walk to the car. "Maybe 5 or 10 minutes. You need to get out of there now" That's when I walked in the front door. Tiffany sure didn't appreciate my sense of humor.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Some times women just can't take a joke. seriously I can't say that I,d of blamed her if she'd hit you over the head with a fry pan:roll_eyes: Don't normally joke around with bad storms been in them an they aren't any fun .

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You know guys sometimes we have friends and don't even know their names.Any person,who would wade out to help a total stranger load their boat,thats like WOW!--------------pk powell:smile2:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Bubbakat he may feel younger, but it will age the exterior quickly, lol:smile: :smile: :smile:

8. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sounds like quite an adventure. Glad you are ok. I had concidered getting out there myself yesterday knowing the fishing would be great. But I have tried it before with all that crap in the river and I won't try it again.

9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Glad you are ok. I was out last year doing some bank fishing. I was about 15 to 30 min walk to the truck and I seen the storm coming. I caught a 4lb flathead and after I let him go the wind started blowing. I loaded up and started back. I got about 5 steps and it unloaded. I was lucky the water didn't break my globe on my lantren. But me and my fishing gear got a good shower.

Dave

10. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Something to think about on rainy day trips. I bought a set of ATV goggles to use in the rain running and you can not believe the difference it makes in using them . They work good in the winter also running in the cold also.Buy the good ones and you wont be sorry ya did.

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Marty, Three words My friend Portable weather Radio!!!!!!! I take one with Me when there is threatening weather around, Tornados are no joke!!!

12. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    Glad you made it OK and glad you got some fish

13. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the Missouri River Rat Club Marty!!!
    Shes mean and youve got to watch it out there even in good weather. Put that one on the resume........

14. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Welcome to the club Marty, I was also out in the rain and swollen river, but I have to say that it was not as bad as I expected. It was alot worse last spring (at least in my neck of the woods). Glad you made it back though.

15. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Thats great stuff there. Sometimes you just have to say what the heck and just do it. Next time your out there fishing with the logs floating by watch them. They usually follow the same path so just tuck your self out of that path.

16. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I had an incident like that when my dad and I were fishing Reelfoot Lake in TN several years ago. A huge storm appeared out of nowhere and we were right in the middle of the lake. We opened up our 6 HP as much as we could and waited out the storm in an island cutoff. Believe it or not, the 2 hours we fished that little ditch was our most productive period of the whole trip!