Floating Rigs?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by kylekutta, Jan 16, 2007.

1. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone use floating(bobers) rigs?If so,what size float,how much weight,what type of bait,how deep,and where over stucture or holes???I always use fish finding rigs never used floats but,I have heard of it.

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    If I use a float it is a slip bobber set about 4 foot. Bait minnow with 2 splitshot sinkers (medium weigh) and use it around trees that are just under the water not to deep. If you can see the tree then thats the place to be with a float and minnow.

3. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    I have floats in my boat just didn't know how to do it or where?Thanks for the info I will try it.Do I watch the float or wait for the clicker to start scream'n?

4. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    For the big fish they will just take it but the smaller ones wont even take it all the way down before stealing your bait so i would watch it.

5. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Very good info thanks alot I will try it soon!!!

6. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    go and have fun with it.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    slip corks work great. i use them to suspend baits in the thermocline and over structure. i mostly use live baits with mine. i like to use the 12" ones with 1 1/2 onces of weight with a 1 1/2 inch glow stick at night. depth depends on thermocline or structure depths. most of the time depths range from 15-45ft for me.

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I use the same setup catifhrus does. They work better in the summer due to the thermocline and how the fish relate to it. I've used them as deep as 50'. Setting the hook is kind of tricky on them when you got 'em that deep though. The glowsticks at night really help too. They also work good around shallow rocks in bigtime current. Caught a bunch of nice channels and some blues feeding slip floats down through shallow rocks.

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    Is there a thermocline in rivers?

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    i dont know? but someone on here should.

11. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    Yes you can locate thermocline on a depthfinder.Just read the manual,it will tell you what to look for.Hope this helps.

12. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky
    floating rigs catch alot of fish around any kind of structure. i like to use live bait about a foot off the bottom as long as im in 40 foot or less of water. usually im using 10 to 12 inch float with a 1 ounce egg sinker. hope it helps. good luck.

13. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was fishing at santee Cooper a few years back and I had no real idea of where to fish when I saw two little black ladies with a wire basket full of 2 to 2 1/2 lb. Blue Cats. I asked them where and how did they catch them and they gave me directions to a dam and told me to drive to the river side and I would find a cable stretching out across the river below the dam. They told me to wade out into the river on the flat and set me a float about 3 feet deep and cast out as close as I could to that cable. They also told me to use medium size minnows. Well, I found where they were talking about and I did as they had told me to do and needless to say I had one of the best times catching frying size Arkansas Blue Cats! I had 2 dozen minnows and I caught 34 Cats in about 3 hours. When I began to run out of bait I re-used the dead ones with the same results. So, I had a great afternoon catfishing that day. The floats worked great for me.

14. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have used 16oz drink bottles as floats in the river. I only use them when the bottom has a lot of debris. I get laughed at a lot for this.....:embarassed:
    just put a rubber band fairly tight around your line and the bottle's neck. Let the bream swim around naturally.

15. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    most rivers that i know of dont have a thermocline due to the amount of water flow. maybe in a drought with low water conditions you would find one or in a real deep river but still it wouldnt be as big a deal as it would be in most lakes.

16. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I agree with Catfishrus, thermocline is where cold water settles on bottom, not much going to settle in a good river flow but there would prob still be temp changes in slower deeper water.

17. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Hey Guys check out the Library There`s a world of infro in it:big_smile:

18. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    that is what i was thinking as well.
    here, the cape fear runs about 12-30 ft deep and flows too much on the tidal end, i wouldn't expect a thermocline, I just saw a note about fishing the thermocline, the user must have meant on lakes.

19. MERUSS

MERUSS New Member

State:
    nc
    Heh kyle,catfishrus has you on the right track. We've had good luck with his rig fishing flathaeds at Tuckertown. We being poor country boys have found one money saving variation. If we are going to fish in light current and fairly shallow you can use a simple ballon for the float. Just tie it either tight to your line or if that doesn't hold, put a swivel in the line at the desired spot and tie the balloon through the swivel. It works great and a bag of balloons is less than one 12" balsa float. Good luck.

20. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I never though of useing Balloon's for a float. That is a very good tip.
    Thank You