Floatation pods?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by benelli101, May 31, 2007.

1. benelli101

benelli101 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I was looking into adding floatation pods or spontoons whichever you would call it to my boat and was just wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with them. I have a 15' 42 cajun tunnel with a 40 horse mercury and was looking to take a little weight off the rear of the boat. My main concern with adding them is the effect it will have on my steering.

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hi keith
    I've got an alumacraft AW1860MV tunnel hull with floation pods and a suzuki 115 four stroke and I think the pods are great !!! they help hold the rear of the boat up when your setting still and when you take off the boat comes right up on plane , the bow stays down where it's supposed too . the only problem with steering I have is that the thing wants to slide sideways when your going 45mph . Ill never own another jon boat without floation pods . If you want to see some video of some boats with a tunnel hull and floation pods go to www.csoutboard.com/acboats.htm
    Hey keith the pods don't bother the steering any that I can tell . When I'm at the ramp , I don't have to back in as far because the backend of the boat floats up higher in the water . I think they make a big difference in the preformance of my boat .
    vince

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Does anyone else have a set of floatation pods on there boat? I am thinking about adding a set and would love to hear from anyone that has added a set or there boat already had the on it.

Thanks in advance,
    David

4. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have an 1860 tunnel with pods. The biggest drawback is backing and turning the boat. It takes more area to back around with it. Other wise I think they are great. Catfishjon

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Would it be too much trouble to ask you for a few pictures of how your flotation pods are made and how they are mounted? More over the size of the pods and the location they are mounted?
    I have been doing a lot or reading (as much as possible any way) about them. Some say to mouth them flush with the sides and bottom, others say mount them an inch high from the bottom.
    Some say that they need to be angled on the inside (allows for bigger boxes and still have motor clearance) and some say make the boxes small and keep the square inside sections. :confused2:

Thanks again for the reply and information.
    David

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Do you need to modify your trailer when adding Pods?

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm not familiar with 'floatation pods', but I am with a couple of other solutions to the same problem. One is to use 'trim-tabs', which are basically a couple of pieces of metal attached to the transom with an electric or hydraulic method of adjusting the tabs. This allows you to use one setting for hole shots, other settings to compensate for heavy front or rear loading, and settings to compensate for running into or with heavy waves. Here's a link that will explain.
    http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/tabsdo.htm
    Another method is to build a box on each side of the transom, leaving room for the motor to turn freely. The bottoms of the boxes line up with the bottom to give more lift. You can leave the bottom of the box solid, and use it for storage, or you can drill holes in it and use it for live bait or fish. The ones I've seen were made of pretty lightweight wood, then fiberglassed.