Float Tubes

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by LiquidSteel, Jul 9, 2007.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have been going to a local place known as Two Rivers State Park and there are people that use float tubes to catch their catfish. I was wondering how many of you good people are using, have used, or thought about using float tubes to catch more fish.

I have seen people use fly rigs and conventional combos, using hotdog and dogfood on the end of their rod & reel to catch catfish. And now, Ive been thiking about getting me one to help me out. No, I dont own a boat, and I dont mind bank fishing, as long as I can find water with fish in it.

So how about you! Do you float tube???

2. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    the float tube i have is really nice with alot of storage its kinda freaky at first but ubegin to love it i lose less fish cause i can play them quicker cause the big uns pull the tube with them and the fins arent a necessity windy days and tubes arent nice together though i caught a 32 pound flathead on my tube jus hard to get him to the bank to cpr

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are you guys talking about those inner tubes with a chair set up in them to fish outa of or something else.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Yep. I been seeing guys around here use them to get out to spots where the cats are. Thing is, when they hook into a big one, they gotta "swim" like crazy to get to the beach to get the hook out.

5. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Now this may sound stupid but it would be more stupid not to ask are they punctire proof or at least highly resitant to barbs (catfish spines) in the event you should have a lively fish get a little rambunctious near the tube . Now i have seen them used with tiny trolling motors around here , i imagine they dont last to long due to the size of the battery that must be used for such a light craft .

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I float tube and flyfish for trout often but there aren't any opportunities for catfishing out of the tube around here. I bet a biggun would be a blast! I can imagine being towed around by one. You first would have to fight the fish with your rod then fight the fish with your legs flipping back to shore to unhook em. Would love to see some pics!

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

You beat me to the post. being that I used to fish for cats in a one man inflatable raft. and I did get spiked and sunk by said catfish. How safe is it to use the float tube?

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I know people use float tubes for trout fishing, but I dont know about catfishing.

9. willyray07

willyray07 New Member

State:
    alabama
    i hung a rattletrap in the side of mine when (forgive me) i was bass fishing and one threw the hook and the cover on them is really tough just make sure when ur done to let about half the air out he causes them to expand and possibly rupture

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Two Rivers State Park outside of Omaha has several lakes to fish out of. The funnest is a catch and release lake (#3) where you have to use barbless hooks. They got some big carp and some bigger catfish. I saw a young man pull out a 14 pounder (I finally got to use my new scale) and yes he had to come back into shore to get the hook out.
    Some float tubes are more like belly tubes, that is to seay the water is up to your belly. Ive also seen another kind where its like a big ol inflatable recliner. Like the following:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...1567315379a&type=product&cmCat=cat360009_feat
    This is the kind I been thinkin about getting.

11. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You're not going to catch this fat boy in one of those tubes!!

drd

12. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    In the area I live in, there are several lakes that people float tube fish in, just because gas powered boats are not permitted (although I can get around it by taking off my gas powered motor and "hand launching" my 12' aluminum and using the electric motors). Normally, float tubers stay rather close to the banks just in case they catch something worth while. I really havent seen them driftin for cats, just flippin for bass. I have also seen them in some pretty high traffic lakes and even the CA delta. I would think that they would be pretty dangerous in high traffic lakes and rivers. In this area I have even seen several tournaments that are "float tube only" tourneys. Was thinkin about getting one, just for these lakes around the area, but I think I might rent one first just to see if it is something I might do more than a couple times - just so I dont make an investment and then let it sit in the garage. :wink: