Float Tubes for Catfishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jedimanhunter, Jun 26, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just got me a Fish Cat U-boat at Bass Pro. I bought a set of paddle pushers that is designed to let you have forward motion. I am hearing they are junk. I went back and bought a set of flippers that I hear will only let you go backwards. I plan on trying it out this weekend.

Does anyone have any do's, dont's or equipment recommendations, rod length should you use waders too. I plan on using a life jacket.

Thanks all.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Jeff: I used to fish for trout in lakes all over Colorado in my float tube - spent hundred of hours in it. But I don't know if I would try to fish for large blues in it, as I would be concerned that they would pop the tube when they would do that rolling thing as you try to land 'em. The one smaller than 10# wouldn't be a problem, but you get a pi$$ed of 15-20 pounder and it's on :crazy:

3. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I can see this turning into the new X-Games sport.Blue and Flathead fishing with tubes.

I would be more concerned about getting overpowered and having to go for a wild ride lol.

I have always wanted one myself so keep us posted on how it works out.

4. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    A friend at work gave me a belly tube last year, and I doubled the amount of channels I was able to catch. This year I bought a new float tube and so far Ive been able to catch everything but cats. But it sure is fun!

I use waders, cause I dont want swamp rash. I use a flotation device (life jacket), cause its not only a good idea, but its the law - at least here in Nebraska. I have seen another local angler that has a fish finder mounted to his tube.

You can access places bank fisherman and some bigger boats cant get too. However, when the winds pick up across the lake, you need to get off the lake, or youll become a sailboat real quick.:smile2:

Attached Files:

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    How about them there SNAKES????????????????

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    SNAPPING TURTLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Turtles make me a little nervous, but Im pretty sure they dont want any of me, and I know I dont want anything to do with them. Snakes, we dont have alot of snakes around here. Mostly just gardner snakes, and a few bull snakes is all.