Float Trip Willies Motor

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Mar 2, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Wanted to start a thread for discussion on Willies 'FAMOUS' motor.

Willie dropped it off at my place last Saturday as I had promised to take a look at it last year but we never got around to it.

Might be a while before I get a chance to do anything else as my local Johnson Shop guy is out of town for another week and a half or so.

I am going to need a manual probably, a suitable set of muffs (doesn't look like standard muffs will work), and figure out how to wire to the existing plug and a makeshift ignition sw.

Anyway........ I made up a test stand today to mount it on. Not up to any real high standards of construction but it's solid and will be donated to Willie Man to store it on in the future.

Might ask some opinions on here or whatever..........post up any comments or suggestions if you got 'em.

Hoping we can end up with a reliable machine for Float Trip Willie!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    First thing you got to do is hook up the gas line and pump up the bulb. Now that that is fixed. How did you bend up the garage door. Inquiring minds want to know. We wont make fun or nothin. REALLY.:smile2::smile2:

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    ???????? Garage door isn't bent, not sure what you are looking at. Must be the angle of the camera.

I'll hook up the gas once I am ready to start testing, not to that point yet.

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Man that is a clean looking old motor. Reps to you for taking care of the old float trip director. Just don't let any of those pent up card memories hit ya while you are working on her. I know I could probably fix her right up with that memory of Willie bluffing the pants right off of me.:smile2:

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Says I have to spread the love Skip.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I have some evinrude parts laying around what year and hp is that motor?

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    It is a 1966 Evinrude 60hp, Model #60653 R

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Not sure if the parts will fit or not but i think i have 2 extra power packs and a stator. They came off a 75 model, 75 hp. Johnson stinger. If ya need any of this let me know, who know's i may find an extra paddle layin around. No offence Willy, just couldn't resist.:wink:

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hey Skip I have a1973-1990 Evinrude/Johnson Manual your welcome to use if need be.Just let me know.Let me guess Your old Johnson man is Steves Motors right?Thats who worked on my 71 Evinrude 60 hp last fall.He's good.Little high, but good.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hey, if he's good, I don't care if he's stoned or not.:wink:

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yes, it's Steve Ellis, he's been working on these motors since I was in diapers I think. I hope I can get some 'advice' from him and maybe parts and manage to fix it myself.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Bob saw the release cable which made the picture look distorted:eek:oooh:...yeah I saw it too, and I know my eyes are good-not sure about Bob's!:smile2:

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Man that sure is one clean motor........:cool2:
    Hey thanks again for all the help skip... If there's anything you need from me you got my work and cell numbers give me a call..

Big REPS to ya Skip.. Thats a very strong motor for its age.. if we can get it running I want you to be the first to ride as it purrs UP the river

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    i cant rep ya skip...

Thanks again bro:wink:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Getting geared up. Picked up an OEM Factory Service Manual and an OEM Parts Catalog fairly cheap on FleaBay.:big_smile:

Any and all suggestions/help appreciated once I get ready to tear into this dude. Still gonna be a while yet.........

16. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.

just make sure you take a padle or 2with ya and stay close to the bank

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Ummmmm........:0a10:I think we'll just get a few guys to follow you around the first couple of trips in case we need a towboat!:smile2:

18. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Seeing that OB makes me think of my old little motor.
    I used to have a 1975 6hp Evinrude that look just like that one. Yeah I know.... 6hp!?!?! :smile2: The pretty blue paint under the lid. It was the cleanest motor you'd ever see for it age. (like Willies apears in the photos)
    When I bought it, I couldn't get it to start. After checking spark and compression, I bought a carb rebuild kit for it . Before I started tearing the carb apart, I sprayed a good amount of carb cleaner in the trottle while pulling the starter cord. Walked inside ate dinner, came back out to try and start it, and it fired with 1 pull. It fired up the first pull for the 2 years I owned it. One easy pull, and she was purring like a kitten.
    I loved that little motor. :sad2:
    Anyways, I'm sure with a little love, yours will be purring like my little 6 banger.

19. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Duplicate post. :embarassed:

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I want to know why the Catsass has to sit outside all Winter with that big ole' garage?!?!?