Float straws?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathead_ky, Feb 23, 2007.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where can I find float straws? I use a slip floater setup sometimes and when I use bigger baits (gills,chubs,goldfish) my line tends to get tangled when it sinks. I would like to go ahead and get some before I start fishing.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    What part of KY you from? There is a bait shop close to me(Catlettsburg) that pretty much specializes in cattin'.I was there today and he had a bunch of them.They were a buck or 2.He may even ship them to you.
    You can make them pretty easy also though.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So whats a float straw?

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its like a plastic straw(12-18") with a small cigar shaped bobber on the end.You thread it on to your line with the bobber end away from your slip bobber.The bobber end floats and in turn keeps your line from sinking and your live bait getting caught up in it.I hope this helps out.I also call them line floats.

5. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have been looking around on the web for some, and the shops around here doesnt have them. I could probably make my own. They do not look hard to make at all, but if anyone knows where I can find them on the web, let me know.

6. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Does anyone have a picture of this float straw? and how it works...I can't imagine it in my head?

7. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
  8. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My post above, isn't exactally what is being talked about but it will give you an idea. The distance between the swivle and the bobber is greater, and a round plastic (straw like) tube, is between the swivle and the bobber.

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats not like the ones I'm talking about.I'll dig my camera out and take a pic and post it.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    OK,here is a pic of a couple I made a couple years ago.
    line float 001.jpg

11. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats what Im talking about John. I am actually getting ready to order a few this weekend. Thanks

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    No problem.Good Luck with them and let us know how you do!

13. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I got the straws in Saturday and what is the length that you prefer to use? These are about 2 feet long. I was thinking about trimming them off because I dont need them to be that big.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I usually use mine about 12-16". Its really what works best for you.Good Luck!

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can go to walmart sporting good section and buy the colored floats in size that you like.then go to the tropical fish section and buy some air line tubing.its in 4 or 5 ft.rolls.tie a string to both ends,put a 1 ounce sinker on one end ,tie the other end to a nail or tree so that the weight is pulling the tubing tite.use blow dryer to heat till it stays strait.cut to lenght you like wallah float straws the way you want and cheep to.

16. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have some float straws like the green one in your pic. The black piece in the floater part is what I have a question about. Do you let the line run through the black piece and wouldnt the stop knot get stopped there and not get all the way to the main floater?