Float stops

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by MRFLATHEAD, Dec 28, 2006.

1. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

hey guys how are ya? hey i need some help with float stops.i have tried many stops and cant get any to hold. ive tried the string type and tried tying a braided line knot nothing seems to hold. i was using the bass pro shop stops and they use to work great must be making them differant now cause they wont work. i run 50# test berkley big game line and run cajun red advantage in 40# test. any ideas what i can do? i thank you for your ideas.also guys im gonna be fishing salt fork hard starting in april looking for someone to fish with . thanks for your time and ideas.also i seen the little rubber stops on a wire how in the heck do you get them on your line

jim white
    cambridge,ohio

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I also use 50lb big game and I tie a uni-knot on the line using 10lb mono for a float stop. Big George has a movie on here somewhere showing just how to do it if someone can point you in that direction, I don't know how to find it.

3. steelwolv

steelwolv New Member

State:
    ohio
    Have you tried the plastic stops? They seem to hold better for me. If you still need a fishin partner come April ( or any other time for that matter) I would be more than happy to go. I have never fished salt fork, it is about an hour away for me. yahoo id is steelwolv513.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Can't find a video for bobber stops. Doesn't mean it isn't here, I just can't find it. If anyone else can, please make a post. Big George, did you do a video for tying bobber stops?

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    My favorite are the dog bone type. They are a little difficult to get rigged but i usually open the holes a little with the point of a hook then I can get my Tuf-line 60# through them.

7. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here is that video of Big George explaining the slip bobber and demonstrating the slip knot and rigging. Enjoy !

BOC video

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a small rubber band. They hold real good on mono line.

9. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Try useing dackron line it works great

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I use 30 lb mono, works for me.

11. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

hey guys thanks for all the input. i tried 10lb test big game last night it was tighter than 20lb test maybe that will work.

12. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    Jim some guys will even use thread tape tied around for a float stop. All by the way I am real close to salt fork so if you ever need a fishing partner just give me a shout