float rig ??????

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 26, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i got a question..........

do channel catfish eat things up near the surface.....

say i took a bobber ( it has a small weight on it ) and put in about 4ft from the hook...... would a cat go up there and eat it ???????

the place i want to try to fish is infested with crawdads and suposta be filled with 5-10lb cats..... i was told to use a bobber but idk if he meant slipbobber or a classic red and white

i would love to take any info or links to learn about this :smile2:

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    LeROY,

I WOULD THINK YOU WOULD USE A SLIP BOBBER ALSO THAT WAY YOU CAN REEL IT UP AND CAST IT . A FOUR FOOT DROP WOULD BE SORAKINDA HARD TO CAST. ALSO YOU STILL ADJ. YOUR SLIP BOBBER TO ANY DEPTH YOU WANT. GOOD LUCK FISHING:big_smile:

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Arkwolf showed me how to rig a slip bobber last week. He's a sponsor here that sells some really nice floats and is willing to share his knowledge.Wild wolf is his companys name and it's in the list of sponsors.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Leroy,

To answer your question:
    "Yes"!:0a23:
    I can't tell you how many Channel Cats I have got under a Bobber. A lot of the members here have got Channels both"Shallow & Deep" - so go for it -you may be surprise.
    :wink:

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    slip bobbers are great for standing in one place and drifting a bait down river.

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    slip bobbers are also great when fishing lakes and the wind can help your bait drift.

The scent of your bait will attract the fish but when drifting the bait you cover more area with the scent.

7. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Slip bobbers work wonders when fishing for suspended cats. They have worked really well for me. It all depends on how deep the water you are fishing is to determine how deep you set the float.

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've been getting SKUNKED lately fishing on the bottom in a really high water level Mississippi River so I'm going to try doing what I read about in a catfishing publication. The article is about methods for fishing "highrise" flatheads. It states that when a river is high a good way to catch the flatties is to use a bobber (orange sized) tied 1-2 ft. above a bait which does'nt have to be a Live fish. It suggests trying shadguts, crawfish or a ball of nightcrawlers. The method sounds easy, simply cast upstream and let the bait drift downstream and before it gets snagged on the bank reel in and repeat the process. It also points out to try and maintain a reasonably tightline throughout.

I'm gonna try it as good ol' bottoms fishing is producing nuthin but goose eggs lately.

9. fish_head

fish_head New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have probably caught more with a bobber than on the bottom where I fish. Actually I am thinking the action (ripples, vibrations) from the bobber may attract them some, and I am going to try a rattle or a popper to see what happens. It works well if there are lots of snags, and you can drift more with a bobber without reeling in.
    Good luck!