Float rig to keep bait off bottom

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have seen these rigs uses by people to keep the bait a little bitoff the bottom for channel catfish but i cant see exactly how it is rigged up can ayone help me out and show me how to rig up the bobber

2. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If you're talking about what I think you are, all you need to do is put a bobber near your bait to keep it just off the bottom. The rest of your rig is the same; the only difference being the bobber. Hope this helps.

3. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes this is true and i use this same method when i think for sure its a muddy bottom only....I use the same rig only put a small bober about a 1-1 1/2 inch one just below the swivel on the leader to the hook...it will for sure keep the bait off the bottom providing the bait is not too heavy...

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If ya are gonna use a carolina rig put the float on your leader about 4 inches back from the hook. I use an 8/0 Gamma octopus circle hook on a consistant basis. This hook will accomodate a good size piece of cut bait. That is why you will see in the pic a decent size float. There are a few sizes avaiable. These floats simply slide on the leader and then are pinned into place with a small plastic wedge. Been usein em for quite some time and your bite ratio will improve. You will experience a good clean take and run rather than the peckin while the cat is tryin to pin the bait to somethin and get it in its mouth. Hope this helped clear it up for ya.

5. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thank you george i will be using carolina those bobbers dont look like a bobber i have used can you help me out on where can you purchase those kinds of bobbers

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The more common float used down here and often called the Santee drift rig is the 2" crappie float.They are shapped like a cigar and usually red/white or orange.You can buy them at walmart.You will need 2 of the plastic pins to keep fish from tearing the bobber up.Thread your line thru the bottom pin and pin the float with the top one.UNFORTUNATELY the bobbers only come with one plastic pin.To solve this problem I contacted the company and they sold me 5000 for 10$ plus shipping.That should be a lifetime supply.:big_smile:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've switched to the 3 inch cigar floats with the slit on the sides and they come with 2 plastic pegs. Wal-mart sells them or if you have an Academy store in your area they are cheaper. What I like about them is they will suspend a bigger bait than the 2 inch and with the slit in the side you can put your line in the slit and peg it in place without having to cut your line and re-tie. I would recomend the orange or green colors the catfish will sometimes get confused and tear the he!! out of the white ones:lol: .

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U might wont to try a slip float rig, or three way rig the rigs keep the bait off the bottom.