float rig or not

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catchaser1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Do you all have better luck with your baits on the bottom or with a float on the leader to float it off the bottom, for blues. Summer and Winter

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I started out useing a float above my hook about 6 inch's for drift fishing. Over time I have been useing them the same way for bottom/still fishing also. I now leave them on all the time. I even use one on my 3 way rigs.

3. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i agree with troy i also use a flaot when drifting. i really feel for bigger fish keeping the bait off bottom its easier for them to get the bait in there mouth . infact when i bottom bounce (drift in current) i catch fish from 1 foot to 5 feet of the bottom , nothing worse the muddy bait from it sitting on the bottom. think of it as the STRIKE ZONE 1 to 5 foot of bottom . wow i sound like a bass fisherman :crazy::crazy: god help me!!!!!!!!!

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Troy Thank's for the Info!!! I was also wondering if You ever use a Stinger Hook to Improve your Hook up rate when there Biteing short? Thanks in advance. Your Iowa friend,J.D.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Hey John, ya I like the double snelled rigs for still fishing. My two biggest fish last year came from a double snelled rig. For drifting they work well too if your fishing where theres not a lot of snags and there biting short.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    90 % of the time I use a slip float rig. The reason is that it keeps my bait off the bottom and out of snags. Its works to. :smile2:

7. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use a 2 1/2 inch cork pegged about a fist length from the hook. The leader is however long I need it. I use a 1/2 ounce slinky weight that consists of 1/8 ounce sinkers on trot line string conected to a barrel swivel. It makes the bait almost neutral in the water. It will go through any stump field on Santee. This is just what I use and seems to work.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great advice guys. Whatever method works best for your body of water, keep one thing in mind. Blues are 99% more likely to feed on a bait that is ABOVE them, than one that is below them. While using slip corks near your hook is a tried and true proven method, also keep in mind that you can use a large float and use a stop knot. By utilizing a stop knot on a traditional float setup, you can place your baits a foot or two above the level the fish are holding at in the water. This can also be accomplished by using reels with line counters and suspending your baits above the fish. Depending on the time of year, you can find the fish on the bottom, holding suspended in the water column, or up in the shallows. Blues also have a tendency to suspend in river systems when the current is slack or has been stopped due to closed gates at a dam.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Another vote for floats here. I use them for anchor fishing and drift fishing. Also like using slip floats under the right conditions.

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    CUZ, how do you know when suspended fish are blues, I will see huge bait balls and I have always been told those are stripers feeding on them, I guess I am scared to sit on the river all day fishing suspended when I have luck about 2 feet off the bottom.I always suspend my bait 2 feet but thats all I do, are you saying that monsters are suspended 10 foot in 45 feet of water at times I thought the monsters stayed closer to the bottom.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good question Chris. Those arnt always stripers buddy. Those big ol Blue Cats will be within 3 feet of the top of the water if thats where the bait is. I have to be brutally honest, just about all of my bigger fish come out of relatively shallow water, or suspended. My 94 came out of 3 feet!!!! Almost always though, deep water will be nearby.

I've learned to identify bluecats on my Lowrance and can usually pick them out pretty quickly. Its not unusuall at all to see them suspended 10 feet off the bottom, ESPECIALLY on the Ohio River when they arnt moving water. I've found they especially like to suspend right on a ledge, or on the edge of the river channel.

I wont mention his name, but I know an angler that has won DOZENS OF TOURNAMENTS and his baits never see the bottom. I learned alot from him, especially the theory that its much more likely for Mr Blue to feed above his head than below it. Dont count out those big echoes that are hangin way up in the water column. They just might be your new personal best :wink:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    couple weeks ago is the first time ive used floats on a bottom fishing rig.fishing cut shad on a three way and ever time i threw out either cntryboy or i would reel in and have a wad of moss on the hook.i put some 4 inch cigar floats on the hook part of the leader but 3 inches from the bait and we started catching fish.definantly going to use it again.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Big "G" is a pro at using the float to keep the bait off the bottom. I/he uses the little crappie cigar floats about 6-10" above the hook and bait and it works really well. George is the one that told me about that and sent me a few to try out. I love using it that way! It works really well and helps keep from snagging up as much!:wink::big_smile:

I also like using Gene's kat-bobbers to slip float fish. They work great also esp. for BIG and lively baits!

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i have tried it both summer and winner it does work in certan cond.

15. catchaser1

catchaser1 Active Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Thanks guys, very helpful info

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    For a long time I used the cigar floats. I've never had a problem with them but allways hated the idea of the metal clips on each end to attach the line. After you take one off the line it is allways smashed in both places it was attached.

Steve Brown has peg type floats for sale thru his catfish safari tackle shop and thats what I now use.

17. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I just learned of this style and by far, it is my most favorite when drifting. I use the snagless drift sinkers as well (but i make my own) and the team catfish sinker guides. The peg floats work well... when the fish is biting and a bit more aggressive, move the peg closer to the hook. If it is slow and not active, move it away from the hook. Play with it, I find that formula works out pretty well. I use leaders anywhere from 12-30" length. Peg float in the middle and adjusted accordingly.

18. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Could not add anything. :wink:

19. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I always use cigar floats on my rigs (still/drift). I use the ones that are cut so I can change the size of the float depending on how deep I am fishing and whether or not I am in moving water or in slow water. I fish anywhere from 2 feet to 10 feet from the bottom. I have quick set rigs ready to just change out. I use 4 poles and vary the depth until I see where the are striking consistantly then I change the other to same depth. Hope this helps some. I always have multiple rigs already right so all I have do it just change the leader line.

20. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have seen guys using the floats and after reading all the great posts, I am going to try them tomorrow on the James River in Virginia. I will post back with I hope a brilliant report!:smile2: