float rig i use.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by flatheadsteve, Jun 12, 2009.

1. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is a drawing of the float rig i use fishing eddys and for drifting cover.

Attached Files:

2. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats exactly how I do mine too, thanks for the diagram.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    WHY THE STRAW FLOAT? I USE THE SAME RIG W/O THE STRAW FLOAT.

4. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The straw holds your line away from the float so it doesn't tangle as much with live bait. If you are using cut bait it doesn't matter

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Yep they say it helps keep the live bait from getting tangeled up in your line..I do not know, because I really did not see any difference in the 2. maybe 50 times in 20yrs ahve they gotten messed up so I'm good without it,,:big_smile:

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Edited the above bold underlined.it should have been 5-10 instead of 50..

7. ko3579

ko3579 New Member

State:
    Frankfort, Ky
    I also use the float straw, Another thing I like about the straw is that your bait may take your float under but he wont get the straw down, keeps me from losing my mind.

8. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the straw flaoat keeps your live bait from tangleing up around your main line. they work great especially with live shad!! those things will tangle you up quick with a float. :wink:

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Neat set up!

10. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have found that having a long leader will negate any usefulness of the straw. My leader on that style float, (katbobber), is only about 6-8 inches long. Or perhaps it is because I have chose some hog yellow bellys for bait, I don't know yet, lol. :confused2:

11. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    personally i dont like the shorter leader with a float... reason being it seems to keep my bait from swimming around, a longer leader lets my bait swim around more... i have experimented with this alot and i have fished a long leader under a float and a short leader under a float side by side many times and i always caught more fish on the one with the longer leader. just my opinion.

12. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'll have to give it another shot then, tonight sounds good if the rain holds off.

13. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Another helpfull tip when float fishing is if you want to keep your line from sinkin from the knot to your pole.
    Buy some its called gulfwax parrafin you can buy this at the grocery store they sell it for people when their canning veggys.
    cast out the float rig and take a piece of paffafin in your hand and press it on your line while doing this reel your line in this will coat your line with this soft wax.Then bait up and throw your rig out to fish.
    The paffafin on the line will cause your line to float on top of the water this will maximize your hook setting power as your line isnt sunk below the surface creating drag and excess slack.
    some use vaseline for this same purpose but it wont stay on your line very long before it wears off.
    The drawback on having your line float is on windy days as the wind will swiftly put a bow in your line.
    At Times of low wind and slow current this can greatly increase your hooksets especially on long casts.:wink: