Float Problems again

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by chris45601, Aug 16, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright brothers Recently i started using a float do to this thermocline, I'm not use to i guess or what not, but when the fish takes off running after an hour of just "casually" swimming around doesn't that mean Something after it or spooked it in some way? I find my self setting the hook, Missing the fish or there not being a fish at all, So with this being said What will the hit look like on the slip float. Second problem is my slip knot keeps moving around way to much, i find my slip knot all over the pole except where it's suppose to be, I tie a Square knot, aka granny knot i make sure i tie it very tight but ends up moving how do i fix this?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Using a slip float for catfish is the same thing as using one of those little red and white plastic things for crappie. Your bait is probably not big enough to pull the float under, but can move it around on top of the water like it had an outboard motor on it. A fish will pull the float under. So, until you can no longer see the float, don't set the hook. When it goes under like those barrels in the movie "JAWS", rare back and cross its eyes (unless your using circle hooks).

Secondly, your slip knot is no good at all. There are several ways to establish the depth your gonna fish. First, there are some little plastic devices sold at Walmarts, Academy's, Bass Pro, Cabala's, and probably mom and pop bait shops which can be used to set the depth. These possibly are the best as you can reel them right up onto the spool will little effect on the rig. Conceivably, you could set the depth at 20' and cast as far as you can... the bait would stop at 20'. Next, you can tie a rubber band around your line. I use what I know as a figure eight knot (think it has some fancier name though). This kinda loops your main line into the knot, making the knot just a little tighter. Drawback to this is the knot will eventually come undone and it is difficult to reel it onto a bait caster. Seems to work so-so on a spinning reel . Third, is to use some monofilament and tie a knot on your line. Forgot the name of this particular knot, but it's like a Snell. Again, its not too good to reel this knot up on to the spool of a bait caster, but works okay on a spinning reel. I am sure there are other knots out there which will work just as well as the two I have mentioned... but they are what I use and are familiar with.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Check out the BOC library and learn how to tie the "slip bobber knot". Your knot will not move unless you make it. How big of a fish are you using for bait? I would think you'd have to wait until the bobber disappears, though I dont usually use to big of a fish for bait with a bobber.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My advice on the hook set would be to pretend there's no flaot there at all - by that I mean, don't set the hook when you see the float go under, instead start reeling and don't try for a hook set until the line comes tight and you start to feel the fish there. This can be especially important with slip floats, because you can have a bunch of line below the float and some slack on the surface of the water...

This can be a tiny bit tricky, because you want to reel until yo are tight, but not so tight that the fish drops the bait.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I use a small thin piece of rubber band for a bobber stop. I've NEVER had a problem with it moving. I also wait till the floater goes under,wait 3-5 seconds and set the hook. It works for me.:wink::cool2:

6. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well i use about hand size blues and war mouths lately that's all i been catching i really can't experiment. I know how to use a bobber but i mean fish i use can bring the slip float under. I use a 5/0 circle hook with a Carolina rig fish hooked through the eye socket.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    IMO,I'd try using a 4-8/0 J or Khale hook. I haven't had much luck with circles and floats...Just my experiences.

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well I'll give it a try, I mean i haven't had the best of luck with circle hooks anyways, I Have plenty of j hooks laying around so who knows

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i bought the green bobber stop knots @ academy & they work really well might want to try that, guess i got lazy!!!

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I sometimes use super glue on my slip not to stop it from moving. As far as hooks I wouldnt advise using a circle hook when using a slip float because you have to set the hook because there is usually slack in the line therefore a circle hook wont set itself. If your bait is pulling the float under under try using a little smaller sinker but large enough to hold the bait down or go up to a larger float. I use a 12 inch long float. I have been using live carp on them from 3 to 8 inches long and they can bob it a few times but cant hold it under more than a few seconds so if it sinks and doesnt come right back up I know its a fish.

11. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It sounds like your getting hits on your line, you have to take the slack out of the line. like what was said earlier. Reel in the line slowly until you can fell the fish. Once you fell the fish set the hook. I buy bobber stops at walmart and bps. They come in a package with beads, they kinda look like dog bones with 2-3 holes in them. I prefer the ones with three hole but the two holes will work. You can place your line through one end hole,out the next, and in the next or through first hole and go around and in the next hole. You'll have to experment to find what workks best for you. They will reel up and through the guides with no problem. Just remember to take out the slack in the line before setting the hook.

12. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Chris
    I tie my knot with mono. I have tried the store bought knots, they don't work as well for me as plain mono. Lots of places show how to tie the knot here and other Internet sites. If the knot is slipping probably not tying the knot tight enough. Or just tie a second slip knot above the first Luck

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I think you should seriously look at getting some katbobbers from Gene. It sounds like you're basically using a rig & method for catfishing that is tailor-made for a katbobber. The good thing about the katbobbers is that you can get one big enough to use your circle hook, they're gonna be buoyant enough to give the resistance needed to set your circle hook. You can also get the katbobbers big enough to use just darn near anything you want for a bait & not have to worry about the bait takin' your bobber under.

Try 'em!! Gene has some good specials going during the month of August for BOC members. He's a great guy and makes a very unique product, besides.... he supports the BOC & that's saying a lot too.:wink:

15. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah im using regular mono line, Tied into a square knot. From what im reading here there's a lot of problems using the a circle or i use octo. hooks a lot. So im going to go to the j hook tonight and see how it works for me. (kinda off topic here but.) I noticed all my larger bluegill im catching are coming from drop offs, Should i take a mental note from this, And start fishing the dropp offs?

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Chris, go with the katbobbers from Gene. Trust me, you won't regret it! When using a large enough bobber, the easy way to tell it's time to set the hook is when it looks like something just grabbed the bobber and yanked it under. The knot for you bobber is easy. Go to Gene's website like posted earlier, OR, get the pretied knots from your favorite tackle store. They come on a little plastic tube, just slide your line through the tube, then slip the thread off the tube. Dispose of the tube and pull the tag ends tight. If using one of the pre-tied knots, I always use 2. Both pulled tight right up against each other. The first one the bobber presses against may slide a little bit, but, that reduced pressure on the 2nd one, caused by the resistance of the first, is enough to keep the 2nd one from sliding at all.

Good luck, hope you catch a monster!!!

Oh yeah, here is another link to Gene's site. His products are great, and if you need glowsticks, you can't beat his price, or the quality. They will glow bright all night long with no worries.
    Gene's site - WildWolfProducts.com