float near hook

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by uttatoo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    a couple years ago i read a article about people putting a float or a bobber next or near the hook to get baite above cover and to make baite move a little more
    my personal experience is i catch the same on bottom or with a bobber with a brain and with a float close to the hook
    does anyone else do this or am i the only one
    ive noticed that if you can find a good eddy it works great but if you have any current at all it wont does any one have any thoughts on this matter

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Use the float all the time on the river and lake as well, works well, Also makes it easier for the fish to eat your offering (imo)

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I've used the float close to the bait and had good luck that way. Just ordered the BOBBER WITH A BRAIN a couple days age and can't wait to try them.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    how close do you guys put your float to the hook

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Different lengths really, depends on the bait I am using and where at, but any where from 8-10 inches to right on top the hook myself. I really like the set up in a little current or when drifting the lake, Also like to use an extra barrel swivel just below the float if using live bait, seems to help keep the line twisting down pretty well.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I actually apply this technique when I have little to no current so that it gets my bait off the ground. I'm surprised this has not worked for you

7. jjfisher666

jjfisher666 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    bobber w brain any info on that think a small jug on a rod + reel legal in tournament fishing

8. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I use a float on all my rigs whether the water is still or moving, rivers, ponds, or lakes. Most of feeding fish will go to the bottom to follow a scent but if just patrolling it is easier for them to find it if is off the bottom some. Depending on the bait size, I use my cigar floats anywhere from about 3/4" to 8" from the hook. It also depends on the size cork you use. I use anywhere from 1" to 4" cigar cork. I also use a 3 way swivel with a light line lead weight.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    should try a 2in. gill hooked on the back hook of a torpedo at night! on a quiet night you can here it thrash on top for 60 yrds at least as it drifts down. lol this is a flathead tactic mostly but have caught bass n stuff too.