Float for bluegills?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by Relocated-Yankee, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    When fishing for gills, especially in small rivers, do you use a float, or just a split shot and letthe bait drift to the bottom??

2. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    no matter what I always use a bobber and wax worms. about 6-12inchs deep

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Try no wait and a gold hook. I can pull in some serious bluegill in a short perod of time this way.

4. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I use no weight and a #6 gold hook. have found red worms best simply because I catch several bream on one worm.

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    usually it seems that bluegills will prefer a bait suspended in the water table that squirms and wiggles....

of course, at times they are just too anxious for their own good and there is no need for 'finese'- plop anything they can eat in front of them and they mouth it.

but thin sensitive antenae bobbers, gold hooks, small baits- all handy when the gills are picky.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I like to use the Little Joe Pole floats. They show some bites that others don't.

7. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I use a Thill antenna bobber with a small hook and a small split shot in between the hook and the bobber. Wax worms or pieces of nightcrawler for bait.

On this lake I fish, I have also caught some monster bluegill on a small topwater popper in the summertime.

8. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Looks like floats and gold hooks are the ticket! With a float do you try to cast to slack water, or can you let the current "drift" it??

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Scott, You don't need a gold hook, any will do. I prefer a #6 bait hook, the kind with little barbs on the shank. I found that gills will swallow smaller hooks some times faster than you can set them. This makes for a bad deal if you are trying to keep them alive. As a general rule I catch bigger gills on the bottom, but in some bigger lakes I can get them suspended over weed beds. I use a standard round bobber so I can adjust the length, or remove it with ease if the situation calls for it. When fishing docks for gills I just use a 1/8 split shot about a foot above the hook and cast out and let it drift down to the bottom in a slow arc. Those gills will follow it down the wam! lol Just remember to keep your options open.

10. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    My favorite bluegill float is a porcupine quill they offer less resistance.
    But they are getting very hard to find.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use a wide variety of Thill floats,Some pencil type and some slip,and a few tiny ones that use rubber bands to det the depth. It all depends on how finicky they are and how light they are taking the bait. Unlike most here,I dont use them for bait very often. When I target them its for the skillet:cool2:

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like using a tiny float and a 1/64 - 1/80 fly tipped with a Gulp! maggot.

13. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i usually fish with a split shot and #6 gold hook with red worm. i never have any problem catching them this way. i put a float on my kids rod, just cause he like watching it better than just sitting there. :wink:

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use a small split shot and a small circle hook with a nightcrawler.

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Come on Yall, We all know that Gill's are Micro feeders anythig you put out there that is small they will eat or try to eat lol-lol.I allways start out with a bobber and flot it in there face and if that dose not work then I go to the Bottom. 2lb line crickett hook barb smached down and a lil chunk of Night crawler,That will getem all day long....

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use an ultra light rod & reel with 4 lb mono....slip float with a split shot and a #6 bronze hook tipped with wax worms. Catchem by the bucket full!!! I use them for bait to catch flatheads.:cool2:

17. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I prefer to use a small weighted float, split shot and #8 cricket hook cause they're easier to get a grip on.

18. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I havnt seen them for sale in years. I still have a few that belonged to my grampa.

19. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla

Go to www.plumesnfeathers.com they have all kinds of porcupine quill floats. They seemed pretty reasonable on price.

20. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use ultra light rod with no wait or float.Just a small piece of night crawler or red worm.Works great for me.