Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

float fishing?

8K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  Chumbucket101 
#1 ·
Okay so can some one drop a lil knowledge on me about float fishing ie rigging best way to use this technique , ive tryed figureing it out myself but to no avail

#2 ·
There are a few ways: tie up a slip knot on ur main line at the depth you want your bait swimming. Slip on a bead, your float, a few ounces of led a leader around 2ft and a circle hook. A swivel will help keep the bait from twisting up ur line. With a slip float you can cast your bait and let it swim around. The right depth is everthing... Keeping your bait swimming a few feet off the bottom and u are in business.

#3 ·
Ok so think i under stand the rigging, so is the weight to keep the bait stationary or just to slow down and/or controll the drift?

#5 ·
weight is for keeping fish down and standing your float straight up. If your floats stands up you can easily tell if the bait has hit bottom or got wrapped up or whatever. I use Catfish stalker floats and those are labeled how much weight it takes to stand the float up.
do you find this to be more effective

#9 ·
im assuming that this technique is used mainly with gills or other similar sized baits? thinking youd need a mighty big bobber to keep the bobber above water with a 2lb carp underneath it.

#10 ·
im assuming that this technique is used mainly with gills or other similar sized baits? thinking youd need a mighty big bobber to keep the bobber above water with a 2lb carp underneath it.
I've used slipbobber rigs for targeting other specie's but never for flatheading...gonna give it a whirl though!!! Might need a beachball to suspend a 2-3lb carp though LOL

#18 ·
I've used slipbobber rigs for targeting other specie's but never for flatheading...gonna give it a whirl though!!! Might need a beachball to suspend a 2-3lb carp though LOL
I was thinking balloons

#19 ·
saweet. i get the concept now, seems simple. might have to make a couple up and give them a shot. or heck just order them who knows.

#21 ·
Looks like they have a pretty decent price on glow sticks.
THAT THEY DO IVE HAD GOOD LUCK FINDING THE 8" BRACELET ONES AT WALMART IN THE TOY SECTION FOR .50 CENTS FOR 8 OF THEM. CAN FIND THEM AT THE DOLLAR STORE FOR PRETTY CHEAP ALSO

#26 ·
Kat-Bobber
The Kat-Bobbers work great, pretty cool with the glow sticks on them at night. I fish a lot of current so I don't use them much unless I'm fishing a lake or a place with little to no current. I've used them up at Clear Lake and here at the Mendota Slough, they definitely do the trick. I prefer to fish with a drift-type set up with the slip bobber up the leader a couple feet and the hook about 6-8 inches passed the slip knot, so the bobber slides between the slip knot and the swivel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.