Float Fishing..

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by channelin, Jun 22, 2009.

1. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Im just wanting some of you guys opinions on live bait float fishing at night. Im just wondering what floats are best, Lighted or unlighted? Are slip floats best? Any help would be great just kind of lookin at using a float to cover some more area:big_smile:

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    See Wild Wolf Products in the sponsor section. Slip float with a glow stick in it and a live bluegill below. You may have to experiment with different depths and locations.:wink:

3. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i always use a slip float just for the fact you ca adjust the depth of your bait to where the fish are feeding pretty easily,, id defnitely check out them kat bobbers, bout to order some myself soon as payday rolls around.

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't use a slip float often, but when I do it is Kat Bobbers all the way. They have a hole in the top for a glowstick. They are great.

5. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Is there anybody that sells catbobbers locally?

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where you at Shelby? This question was made for you. :wink:

7. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    im pretty sure you can only get em from wild wolf products whose link is on the site

8. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gone fishin' :smile2:

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    never had no luck with a float!! shane

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Take a look at some of the testamonials on Kat Bobbers on the Wild Wolve link on home page. :wink:

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I love using slip bobbers for channel cats. They work great when your fishing over snags or heavy weeds. Also work good fishing around feeders to keep your bait at a certain depth.

There are many times when you can be fishing one pole with a slipfloat and be out fishing somebody sitting beside you that's using three poles with the same bait!

By the way Shelby told me he placed another order for Kat Bobbers yesterday! :wink:

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    he should just be a dealer for em

13. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Josh, I use a slip float on at least one pole ever time I go fishing in a lake if I am catfishing at night.

I use Katbobbers the 3" ones and I also use the billy bob cigar floats that are weighted. Some people don't like the weighted ones as you can't tell where the bottom is because the bobber is weighted to stand up all the time.

I like the Katbobbers better as the glowstick sticks straight out and if the bait fish swims around then the glow stick is not hidden by the otherside of the bobber. I have tried to set the hook when I thought that the bobber way under and it was not. I don't do that much anymore as I have been bobber fishing for a while now and have learned when an how to set the hook.

Also you can use a 6-10" live green sunfish/bluegill and 3-4 oz's of weight to help cast and keep the gill down and the bobber holds just fine plus the added weight helps the bobber go under IMO. Also the cigar weighted bobbers you can use any added weight well maybe a splitshot or something like that but I only use those for bait fishing and with no weight then the bait get all tangled up in the bobber I do like them for cut bait just not live bait and less it is under 3" or so and then you catch smaller fish.

I like the slip floats the best because you can if you want to set the bobber really deep like deeper then 10' or more though I never do deeper then 5' ever no matter how deep the water I am fishing is. I fish mostly where I think the cats would be looking for the bait i am using I.E. Bluegills/Shad.

I use store bought bobber stops as I have not learned how to tie a bobber stop knot and they really are pretty cheap to buy. I use 3 on every pole and change then when they need to be changed if they start to slip more then normal and over time you will learn what I mean. Those really small bead are almost as important as the stops themselves IMO so try an not lose them you get them with the bobber stops in the store.

I use baitcaster and wait until the bobber goes under then run to the pole reel in the slack an press the button to disengage the reel or free spool with it in hand and when he starts pulling line out turn the handle to engage and set the hook and the fight begins.

If you need help with the rigging let me know an I will post about that with pics if you need me too.

I also buy the glowsticks from Pete at http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/

Until the end of the month he is having a Fathers day special on the bobbers.

Here is the link directly to the discount:

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/BOCspecial.htm

Let me know if you need and more info and I will gladly try and help you out.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I use 7" lindy weighted balsa wood floats with turkey liver for channel cats around feeders. Wal Mart used to carry them but not anymore. Bass Pro or Cabela's still do.sometimes I will use no bobber stop at all and let it slowly sink to the bottom. If it is real windy this keeps your drifting to a minimum and keeps you in the strike zone. but you will have a tendency to get snagged a lot especially right around the feeders.The lakes I fish feed floating feed so i think the fish feed faceing up as opposed to facing down where they use sinking feed.I'm trying to catch large numbers of fish as opposed to that one big one like Shelby and Keith. Lately I have been carrying A baitcaster rigged with one of Shelby's kat bobbers. I have started using bobber stops though I haven't found one i like yet. Set it about half of the depth of the feeder and you will stay out of the snags a lot more consistently.No need to use a weight the weight of the liver will take care of that.I pre tie leaders with 18" of 30lb mono with a giant interlock swivel {size 3/0} at one end and a 3/0 Mustad J hook on the other. I like Kahle hooks but they are too hard to unhook.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Got my Bobbers in the mail today:smile2: talk about fast shipping:wink::big_smile:

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I use the Kat bobbers and Fat Kats all the time, it really adds a new weapon to your fishing. I hate to say but I have to many of the bobbers to count. Ask CJ about that, I took a small supply of them with me the other night when we went out. You can not go wrong with anything you get from Pete, and talk about fast shipping!

17. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    I forgot to ask but apparently the light from the glow sticks do not bother the fish?

18. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Josh, As far as I know no the light don't bother them I have not caught a flat with them yet but I don't catch many flats anyways.

The channel in my avatar was not scared of the light stick and that lake I was at it was pitch black as it was not close to the city at all and you could see more stars there then I am used to.

19. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    Ok thanks shelby, I mainly fish for channels also but Im interested in trying them on some flats with a big ol gill:big_smile: Did you say you use 3 to 4oz of weight with them?

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yes thats what I use so they cast easier without the bait flyin off the hook. I use bait casters and sometimes too little weight is a bad thing.