Float fishing the Muskingum River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jun 3, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i recently have been spending more time fishing floats on the river. i have to say i like the results. i think this is a great way to present baits that normally you would have trouble fishing areas that are full of submerged timber. i have a couple of places that i love to fish, but have always had problems keeping baits out of the snaggy brush. i bought some 4 and 5 ounce floats that are plenty big enough to float live baits at night time in these prime areas. im sure you can do the same with cuts for channels. for ex. i had a 5 ounce catfish stalker slip float tonight, with a barrel, then a 2 ounce egg sinker then bead, then hook. the area i fished was a slack water eddy off the main channel. i was able to suspend a green sunfish just 3 ft. from the surface and approx. 2 ft. above the sunken wood pile. i immediately caught a 8 or 9 pound flathead that was held up in there. i normally would have to fish the outskirts of this area do to the wood. the only downfall to fishing this, is you have to keep the slack out of your line, and it is difficult to see the float in the dark. glow sticks above the float are possible, or simply try to fish it the float close enough that it is still visible. i like to set-up above the area i want to fish ,obviously upstream, doing this you can get a feel for the structure and strike zones. try to fish the bait through the area, often dragging your baits back to you allowing them to float the same path again. i have found that flatheads esp. don't always hit on the first float through, but often do on the second or third. if i don't get any pickups i try to cast to a different spot or even move. try this and let me know what you think...rollo

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Rollo try the cat bobbers our sponsor Gene sells ,they are tops and you can stick one of his light sticks in the hole on top or use the connector and wrap one around the float,the 8 inch light sticks come with the connectors and are 10:00 + shipping which comes out to about 15 cents apiece check out his site as our sponsor

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the ones i have been buying are around 6 dollars they are made out of uva, kinda like a rubber/plastic that is suppose to be durable. they claim that they are almost indestructable, but i have already ruined one. balsas don't seem to hold up well in the river, with the logs and rock. do you know what they are made out of? i guess i could just check myself. thanks.. tony

4. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    they are made of the same stuff swimming pool noodles are made of and the will float a lot of weight even with 5 oz of weight plus bait

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks. i also have another idea for the night thing. you could wrap the bobber in reflective tape towards the top. but i don't shine light into the water for flats, unless i'm trying to steer them away from structure. might work well for channel cats though? :roll_eyes:

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yea, I love my Big Kat Bobbers! I get some funny looks at the lake until that big bobber goes skiing across the water and dissappears. The glow sticks are a dull green and last all night. I use a stop and a bead, then the bobber, a 3-way, (sometimes I drop about 18" and put a second 3-way),then 18" of a lighter line and 3 oz of lead to make the bobber sit up nice.:cool2:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know what u are saying. them floats practically make there own wake and slowly disappear. looks like the barrel from jaws lol

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Taxidermy Man gonna have a heart attack when He sees what I brung 'im.:lol:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jammer, u can't have that bass mounted, i need him for bait. i will get u another one i promise!:lol:

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I can't tell you the last time I caught a Ba$$. Then it was probably in my cast net.:smile2:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Rollo, if you like floating baits for flats , remind me to bring the floats I made if we ever get to fish again lol. They use a carolina type rig where the sinker sits on bottom (so you can cast up to the edge of structure) and the bait stays on top trying desperately to get to cover or the bank ,the float keeps him on the surface, but he is pinned to the same small circle of line from the sinker to the surface. I think I told you about this before but you havent seen it in action yet. Its not the same as floating a bait thru a section. Its keeping a bait on top, in a specific area sorta like a limbline on a pole lol.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yeah, i remember seeing those now. i would like to see them some night. we will just have to make time to go to the ole river, and fish em. lets try that big fish water though. i'm itching for one over 15. it has been a slow year for rollo so far, plenty of decent fish, but not anything worth bragging about. know anywhere we could go? lol surely not:tounge_out:lol

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Those Kat Bobbers that Mean Gene sells are just plain awesome!!! Definatly try them out. They are cheap and very well made. Will stand the test of time!!

14. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    those balsas do get tore up bad, not very sturdy.. im gonna get some of those
    bobbers your talking about and try them, i do alot of float fishing in the gmr

15. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just go to the BOC sponsors, Wild Wolfe Products. Gene will fix you up.