float fishing stillwater for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by desertcatrat, Jun 18, 2009.

1. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i am interested in fishing with floats with live bait ,probably bluegill or tilapia,in some colorado river backwaters
    i am looking for info on this tecnique, i will target flats
    what depths size or brand floats, is slip float the best?
    most of the waters will be less than 20 ft with little or no current

2. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------This is a repost of mine.....Good Luck:wink:

I bank fish 100% of the time and I use 6-9" weighted slip floats on 99% of my rods, If you watch and learn how the strike is indicated by the float, I gaurantee a 25-50% increase in hook-ups.on channels. OOH Yeah!! trust me I know.

My set-ups are as; Going up the Line,

The rigs they start with a #3-#9 Gamakatsu Octopus tied to a 14-18" leader tied to a 90# barrel swivel,

then I have a bead or 1/4" cuts of a spark plug wire(with the center pulled) to keep the knots safe from the weights,

then a 1/4-3/4Oz tungsten steel weight(adjust accordingly with size of float) and another bead,

then my weighted float on the main line with a slip knot tied above the float too adjust depth.

You can use this setup to fish from the top to the bottom very effectively.It is essential for Fishing for suspended channels and blues, By adjusting the weight you can bring the float deeper into the water leaving about 1-1 1/2" exposed allowing it to stay in the strike zone longer and you will be able to see the tinyest hit by the channel (when the float rocks at a angle)(SET THE HOOK) the fish has already moved 2-6' with you bait in its mouth. TIP- The deeper you are fishing when the fish hits, the further the fish has traveled, and so on as up to the top it would be lesser distance... Seeing this allow's you to adjust how fast/quick you set the hook, and more hooksets/ups = more fish in the livewell or cage.

Use less weight fishing live gills and such for bigger fish, Which brings the float higher up to 2-2 1/2" out of the water. When the float starts moving and rocking around you can almost bet, there is something bigger moving around your bait, giving you a chance to get ready to grab the rod and set the hook on take off..

Hope this helps some.

OH WELCOME TO THE BEST CATFISH SITE ON BOARD,, and I fish strickly for flatheads than anything after the spring haul for the freezer.:wink:

We'll be hearing about all them flatheads pretty soon..Go get -em:cool2:

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Sound advice Kenny,Sound advice!:cool2:

4. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    thanx flame
    i will fish gill s so how big of a float needed for 5" gill
    and there is weightwed or unweighted floats
    also what brand or model float do u suggest
    thanx again
    do u put bead above float between stop and float

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like the WILDWOLF Kat Bobbers.They,ll take most any size of livebait.You can get bthem from Catfish Connection.:wink:

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    5" Gill, A 7-9" weighted float with 1/4-3/16oz weight ought to be dead on. and yes before you put the float on the main line add a small bead 1/8"and then a 1/4" bead before the float , that will keep the slip knot from going thru the float.. :eek:oooh:Sorry about that..

This pic will show you my setup for flatheads ,blues and channels alike.Just different sizes of floats weights and hooks you can catch-em all..
    IMHO The katbobbers are to big when fishing in lakes and calmer waters. you would be able to see them thats for sure.

Attached Files:

7. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    that float will support a gill looks small\
    i looked at the katbobbers,nice but i try to go trditional if at all possiblee
    wood floats seem nice
    so bobber sto[p,bead, float,weght,bead,swivel,leader, hook

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    floating is that doen with a circal hook, im going to try it

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Great advise Kenny:wink: You nailed it on the head Bro!!!!
    I have used the Kat Bobbers that Pat referred to with circle hooks,:wink: and they have enough boyancey to set the circle hooks in most cases.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Even JAWS had a hard time keeping the barrel down:smile2: It might go down and come back up kinda quick,, But when it stays gone , its on then,,You'll figure it out soon enough..LOL..

Brian,,That 8" weighted float with a 1/4oz steel, swivel,#8-9 gamakatsu octopus,with a 4-5" bluegill. will stick out of the water 2 1/2 -3" all day long.:wink:

1/8"bead- 1/4" bead- 8" weighted float- 1/4" bead- 1/4oz steel- 1/4" bead- 90# swivel- 14-18" mono leader- #7-#9 Gamakatsu Octopus and a fat gill stuck just behind center of dorsal 1/2" down, set at 4' in 4 1/2 -5' water= BIG FLATHEAD.:wink::big_smile:

Slikk,,I do not use circles, I might give them a try when I start fishing the ohio harder/later in the year. Like Ken said , the catbobbers are big enough for circles, so that when a fish hits,it will have enough pressure/resistance to load and set the hook, IMHO.:cool2:

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i use the larger cat bobbers myself and i am very satisfied with the results.by the way a 2 lb.flat can eat a 5 inch gill with ease.

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep they can eat-em bigger than that too!!:eek:oooh:

13. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i just ordered some floats, balsa weighted cigars 10 in. and i got 1 katbobber just to try
    i am excited to try them,thanx flame for the info
    what hooks do u recommend
    i use circles but miss the head turnin hook set
    do u swing a hook set with kahles and regular non circle octos

14. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You will like the kat bobbers. Also I'm a sponsor of the board here and the manufacture of the kat bobbers. Were having a fathers day sale on our kat bobbers the rest of this month,
    Check out the Wildwolfproducts giveaway the link is on the first page of the giveaway page
    .http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113821
    Pete

15. desertcatrat

desertcatrat New Member

State:
    Palm Springs,a.
    i saw your video , it was informaative
    out west here i do not know of any guys that fish floats so i am on it
    how does it work in current, or does it at all
    i like the katbob for the glowstik port and the extreme buoyancy
    i fish live gills or tilapia so i need a float that will not be dunking when the bait gets excited
    how would u hook a live bait to get the most life and activity out of it
    anal dorsal ?
    thanx for the reply

16. flatheadsteve

flatheadsteve New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i would recomend thill big fish slider floats. i use the 6" and 8" thills, they will hold up a big bait and are very boyant in current as well. one thing these floats will do is eventually get a groove in the bottom and your line will get caught in it and it wont slide... so what i do is take a brass rivet and cut the nail out of it and slide the little tube inside the bottom of the float :wink:

17. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks for the tips Kenny. Hey Brian, With you being so close to Lake Cahuilla you can test the float systems there. There are some big flatheads in Cahuilla, so you have a close testing facility. Good Luck!

18. nater779

nater779 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use egg sinkers with live bait so the bait can move around

19. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
  20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Brian,,That 8" weighted float with a 1/4oz steel, swivel,#8-9 gamakatsu octopus,with a 4-5" bluegill. will stick out of the water 2 1/2 -3" all day long.

1/8"bead- 1/4" bead- 8" weighted float- 1/4" bead- 1/4oz steel- 1/4" bead- 90# swivel- 14-18" mono leader- #7-#9 Gamakatsu Octopus and a fat gill stuck just behind center of dorsal 1/2" down, set at 4' in 4 1/2 -5' water= BIG FLATHEAD.:wink:

The 10" weighted float will probaly set perfect with a 3/16oz steel slip sinker.Ought to setting about 2 1/2-3" above water,, with a 5-7"gill:wink:

Good Luck:cool2: